Most of my childhood Christmas mornings were spent at my Grammy's house (or houses actually...Grandaddy was a house builder and so they moved a lot). There would be breakfast while the gift opening began. My mom always made sure our stockings were stuffed to the brim and they were always the first thing Beth & I got to open. They usually contained some pretty fun stuff and smaller things that we really wanted to needed. They also always had some very random stuff inside...I think my mom just wanted to make sure they were full, but to not spend a ton of money on each thing inside. One year, she gave Beth and I each a bar of Faberge Soap and it had something printed on it like "Faberge Baby". "Faberge, baby" became a common phrase around our household for years. And when Beth & I never used our bars of soap, we found them in our stockings again the next year...ha! Another year, my mom had taken the volunteer job of combing the hair of all the students at Fairview Elementary before their school pictures were taken. In an effort to be clean they provided her with a huge sack of combs. At the end of the day, she was sent home with the leftover combs and there must have been hundreds of them. That bag of combs was in our hall closet for years and my mom would find any means of getting rid of them, short of just throwing them away. This meant that most years Beth and I would find one in our stockings. Oh, joy! It was pretty hilarious though and the running jokes about what would be in our stockings kept us entertained.

No comments:
Post a Comment