Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Advent Memories Day 14 : Scripture Reading

One Christmas during college (most likely my Senior year), I was already back in Columbia for the Holiday when I received a phone call. It was the worship minister at our church and he was wondering if I would read scripture at the Christmas Eve service. I was kind of confused by this as there had been some turn-over in staff at our church since I had left for college and I really didn't know the pastor or the worship minister at all. Why would they call me to do this? I still don't really know the answer, but I think they involved several people from different stages of life in the program that year, so I suppose I was their token "college student who came back home for Christmas." He picked the scripture, so all I had to do was get comfortable with it and then read it in front of a crowd! I wish I could remember the passage I was given...I think it was maybe a Psalm, but I'm really not sure. That night, I was a little bit nervous, but it actually ended up being fun. I think our family enjoyed being involved in the service in a small way that year. And, I think that's when I discovered that I actually like speaking in front of people. Well, so long as it's not something I have to write or something that's not super personal to me...that makes me super nervous!!

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Loving all the daily postings.