Thursday, December 02, 2010

Advent Memories Day 2 : Christmas Eve Day Tradition

My family is not a “traditions” family. We don’t have a lot of things we do the same from year to year. Sometimes I wish we did have a little bit more tradition, but for the most part, we love trying new things, exploring something different, embarking on a new adventure. I guess you could say we’re all a bit ADD.

But, we have had a few traditions that lasted over certain periods and one tradition we had for many years when I was younger was our plans for the day of Christmas Eve. We always, always spent this day with Beverly. Beverly was my mom’s best friend at Baylor. She is the sweetest lady with the thickest Texas accent you will ever meet. We don’t get to see her often anymore, but we love her. Her family lives in East Texas, but Beverly’s parents lived in Dallas, so like us, they were also there for Christmas every year. On the morning of December 24th, Beverly would always pull up to my Grammy’s in her suburban loaded with her 3 kids, Ali Kay (named after my mom), Stacey, and Jeff. My mom, Beth and I would pile in and off we’d go. Shopping was always the agenda. Today, it seems crazy that 2 moms chose to take their 5 kids shopping on Christmas Eve of all days! But, that was our tradition. We always hit up the same places – NorthPark Mall and a children’s clothing store on Preston Road called Audra’s or Andra’s or something like that (it’s no longer there). It was across from Chocolate Soup and I imagine there were some years when we also popped in that store because its clothing made up the majority of my wardrobe in my youngest years. NorthPark is (to this day) the greatest mall at Christmas time (well, anytime, really). It is so festive and decorated beautifully and they have several kid friendly Holiday activities going on. We were never short on entertainment there. It was always a very joyful day. I often find myself wishing that Beverly and her crew would wind up in Dallas for Christmas again so we could revive our tradition and include the newest generation....there are now 11 grandkids between Beverly and my mom!

Scrooge's House @ NorthPark Mall

No comments: