Sunday, December 12, 2010

Advent Memories Day 12 : Rock Candy

Growing up, my mom had a dear, older friend in our church named Mildred.  I don't know how old Mildred is, but I'm amazed that she is still alive (although not kicking quite as hard these days).  Mildred was an expert at making rock candy and my mom decided one year that it would be fun to have Mildred over to teach us during the Holiday season.  I was definitely on board!  I don't remember the whole process, but there were candy thermometers and food coloring and all kinds of flavorings.  We made a TON of rock candy that day in many different flavors.  We had our Christmas gifts for friends, teachers, etc... for the year!  Mom and I had a blast and immediately decided it would become an annual tradition!  After making rock candy all morning and afternoon, I left the house to go somewhere with friends (I'm going to guess the Columbia Mall...because where else did we go in Junior High?).  When I came home that evening, I walked in the door and was welcomed by the extremely strong vapors of all the flavors we used that day.  It was so potent!  So much that it made me sick to my stomach and I had to make a mad dash for the toilet!  I've never been too big of a rock candy fan since then and our plans of making it a tradition were squashed...we've never made it since!  But I do love that I have a special memory of a day spent with Mildred and mom.

2 comments:

tonya said...

We used to make rock candy all the time. It's so hard to find these days that we don't really make it any more. I loved making it way more than eating it.

Kate said...

that was a hilarious story. you went from loving it to barfing and hating it rather quickly. : )