Monday, December 13, 2010
Advent Memories Day 13 : Mammaw's Creme Puffs
My Mammaw was known for her cooking. She had some specialties we all loved and we each had our personal favorites (mine was probably her blackberry cobbler....so yum!) Mammaw's Creme Puffs were a big hit with just about everyone, but especially my dad. They were not the easiest thing to make, so she would usually only make them when my family was in town (which led to just a little bit of bitterness from family who lived right there and had to wait until my dad came in to get their creme puffs!). One year, however, I did learn that the Texas fam was often treated to a little taste of creme puffs when their family from Missouri wasn't in town. My cousin, Nicole, and I spent the night at Mammaw's on Christmas Day one year. I'm not sure why it was just the two of us because usually all the cousin's would spend the night together. I think Beth was sick this particular year and maybe Mammaw just invited the older girls to come or something. That evening, Nicole let me in on a little secret...Mammaw would sometimes whip them up a little batch of creme puff filling and serve that for a little snacky snack before bed. I thought it sounded a little strange at first...creme with no puff? Weird. But, upon Nicole's request Mammaw got to it and shortly after we were sitting at the table with individual bowls full of white custard and eating it by the spoonful. It was actually delicious! The first and last time I've had creme without the puff!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
She also made it for me when I got my tonsils out. That DEFINATELY made me feel better! I may have to whip some up. I don't know if you made it to the one year we attempted the cream puffs and they went flat. Sigh. It's an art that went out with Mammaw, I'm afraid. But the custard can live on.
Yup. Miss Mammaw & Pappaw this time of year.
Post a Comment