Sunday, April 11, 2010

Rhett Miller @ City Winery

A few friends and I went down to City Winery to see Rhett Miller play. City Winery is one of my new favorite spots in the city. It is such a nice, big space with a great wine list and food and a fun calendar of events! Although I've seen Rhett play with the Old 97's numerous times, this was my first time to see him play solo. I forgot that I actually have some of his solo songs so I was pleasantly surprised that I knew some of them. I like music best when I know it. My friends here have some fun connections to Rhett Miller and his family so they are always willing to go out and support him when he's in town. Erin went to high school in Highland Park with Rhett's sister. Rhett used to get them into the clubs he was playing at in Deep Ellum when they weren't yet old enough to get in. The other connection is that my friend Kim's best friend married Rhett's brother. So, that night, Kim told me that Rhett's brother was at Baylor when I was...a couple of years older and a KOT. I was shocked to find this out. Rhett does not seem Baylor or KOT to me.  At all.  So, to find out his brother was threw me for a loop!  So, the next morning, I called my sister figuring that she probably knew this guy. I couldn't believe that she knows Rhett's brother quite well! She knew him at Baylor, but now they go to church together in Dallas. I asked her if she realized who his brother was (I've been talking to her about the Old 97's for years). Her response was "some musician guy". I was like, um, hello...how could you not have figured this out before now??  She was just as surprised to find out he's the lead singer for the Old 97's.  Funny. All that to say, it was a good night and I might just like Rhett a little more now that I know he comes from some of my people.

No comments: