Monday, April 28, 2008

A teenager? Me?

Yesterday at church, I taught the K-5th kiddos. Since last week was spring break, many of our families went out of town. The Texan families all flew south and the family that "summers in The Hamptons" went out there...or somewhere. So, we were left with only 4 true New Yorkers. We had the most adorable 7-year-old girl who I had never met before. Her name was Toni...or Elisiana. Whatever. She was extremely smart and mature and quite funny for her age. So, the first thing we do when the kids come in is the story. Other than a quick introduction of Toni (aka Elisiana), she had not really heard me speak. The stories for the K-5th kids are long (in my opinion, way too long) and I try to do my best to keep their attention by being animated, asking questions, etc... So, I'm about half-way through the story and Toni says, "Are you a teenager"?
Me: What?
Toni: Are you a teenager?
Me: Oh, no! I'm waaaayyy older than a teenager.
Toni: Well, why do you talk like that?
Me: Like what????!! (slightly worried at this point)
And then Toni proceeds to try to mimic me and comes off looking/sounding just like a teenager! Holy crap....do I sound like a teenager when I talk?!? Anyway, I've gotten over it now and I'm pretty sure it's the voice I use when I tell the stories. I know I'm not the most eloquent/sophisticated/educated sounding speaker on a normal basis, but I'm pretty sure I don't sound like the Sweet Valley Twins. I hope not.

Anyway, having the smaller group was sooo fun! I felt like I got to know the kids a little better and they were so much easier to control than when some of the more WILD ones are there. The other teacher brought her guitar and played/sang some praise songs at the end...I wasn't sure the kids would be all that in to it, but they sat more still than I've ever seen them! It was great!!

1 comment:

jessica said...

The Sweet Valley Twins were really popular though...