Monday, April 21, 2008

Rest of the Week

Last weekend/Monday were definitely the highlights of mom's week in NYC, but we had fun the rest of the week, too. Of course, mom and De Ann had a lot more fun times without me while I was at work. We all went to see the Little Mermaid on Broadway on Wednesday night. It's the latest Disney show to hit Broadway and I really wanted to see it because most the other Disney shows are so impressive. Luckily, this was what De Ann really wanted to see because I haven't had much luck talking anyone else into seeing it! It was cute - not the best Disney show on B'way, but still good. I always enjoy a show that I already know the music to so that was a bonus for this one as well!

Thursday, I grabbed sushi at the grocery store and went over and played Rummikub with the ladies. My mom and I love games and De Ann's family is addicted (seriously) to Rummikub, so I've played this with these ladies all over the US now...in Dallas, Nantucket, and NYC!

Friday, I did some stuff on my own before heading back to play more Rummikub and come up with a plan-of-attack for Saturday. Saturday ended up being a great day! The weather was incredible - it's finally spring here!!! We went up to the Madame Alexander doll store in Harlem. De Ann was in search for a lost shoe. Mom and I aren't really doll people, but we tagged along. They ended up giving us a tour of the factory and we all actually really enjoyed it!

Just a small section in one of the rooms filled
with dolls













I loved all the Rockette's dolls they did this year
for their 75th Anniversary show.













They've done dolls of lots of movie and B'way show characters...including Wizard of Oz!

















After the doll factory, we headed over for a Harlem soul-food lunch at AmyRuth's...the place I blogged about recently that serves fried meats and waffles. I got the chicken and waffles this time - I think I liked the shrimp better. It's way too much food, though. Next time I will definitely just get waffles - they're the best ever! My mom and De Ann loved this place!

Next, we headed back to the Upper West for some walking around and stops for desserts. Yes, dessertS. There were 2 places mom hadn't gotten to that were on her list....Levain for their awesome cookies and Beard Papa's for their cream puffs. We all got one of each to go since we weren't hungry at all and saved them for later. My Levain cookie later that night was all I needed for dinner - yum!

Then, we headed back for a few more rounds of Rummikub and had to put mom in a cab for LGA. I was sad to see her go and am not sure when I'll see her next! De Ann is still in town this week so I may meet up with her for dinner one night.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great time you've had with your Mom!!! What's Rummikub anyway?

Tonya

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I didn't know Madame Alexander was in Harlem! I have to come visit again! I am a collector since 5!!! Tamara

Susan said...

Rummikub is a game! It's played with these things that are shaped like dominoes (no dots though) and is kind of like the Gin Rummy you play with cards!

Susan said...

Tam - definitely come visit again!