Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Symphony in the Park

Last night we went to go see the New York Philharmonic in Central Park after Growth Group. It was incredible. We missed the first half or more, but it was still so great. There must have been thousands of people out there sprawled on the Great Lawn with blankets and picnic baskets. It was really cool. The music was beautiful and I wished we had been able to hear the whole thing. While you sat and listened to the music, all you could really see was the symphony on the stage up front, trees, and all the people. It didn't feel like we were in the middle of NYC at all. A great escape! After the symphony was over, Joy was like "now it's time for fireworks" and I said "really?" and she said "well anytime there are more than 5 people gathered in New York there are bound to be fireworks". And about 5 minutes later, I hear booms behind us. So, everyone hops up, turns around and watches the fireworks show. I thought it would be a few fireworks, but it lasted a long time!! It was so pretty to see the fireworks above the trees with the skyline behind them.
I was headed in a different direction when it was time to go home and as soon as I got out of the park, it started pouring!! I caught a subway close by so it wasn't too bad, but when I got to my stop, I had a ways to walk. I love all the walking, but have found myself in a bind when it rains and I'm not expecting it and have no umbrella. I didn't want to wait, so I tried to walk under awnings, but finally gave up and just walked in the rain. Flip-flops get really slippery when wet, so I was walking rather slow, too. By the time I got home, I was drenched!! My hair was soaked through as was my cute skirt and top!! They needed to be washed anyway, so I decided it didn't matter. It was kind of fun in a way!

No comments: