Sunday, July 16, 2006

Coney Island!

Yesterday was a big trip to Coney Island! I went with two girls from my Bible Study, Laura and Becca. It didn't end up being the greatest day to go to the beach, but we had fun anyway and just being at the beach was great! There were a ton of people there. When we got there, we first went directly to the beach. It was overcast, but we had hope. We were so excited to see the sand and ocean! It's not the greatest beach ever, but it was okay and still the beach! Laura brought a sheet, which is a brilliant idea-- much easier to shake off than a beach towel-- so, we all sat on that. Not 10 minutes later, it started to rain. Becca pulled out a tiny umbrella and we all 3 sat huddled under it reading a magazine together. It was hilarious, but fun! We gave up after about another 10 minutes and decided to find a place to eat inside. Of course, you're supposed to get a hot dog at Coney Island, but all the hot dog places are just stands you walk up to and the lines were long and in the rain. We walked away from all the craziness and found a place to grab a bite inside. When we finished, the sun was out, so we hit the beach again. I fell asleep! Becca and I waded in the water a bit-- it is freezing cold!! People were playing in it, but I don't know how! There weren't really waves at all. After laying on the beach for a while, Becca and I wanted to try out the roller coaster-- you can't go to Coney Island without riding it! Laura had been a few times, so she wasn't quite as into trying everything like Becca and I were, but she still had fun with us! The ride was great-- longer than expected and a good wooden roller coaster!
I love knowing that I live in a place where I can just hop on a train and get to several different beaches. Laura left town today for 6 weeks (she's a teacher so she can do that!), but Becca and I plan to hit up some of the nicer beaches before summer runs out!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a fun time! How long did it take to get to Coney Island?

It sounds like you are making some girlfriends. I hope that is the case. Life is definitely a lot more enjoyable with good girlfriends to share it with.

How is your job?

Glo said...

Enjoy a beach or two for me! This Florida/Hawaii girl misses being minutes away from the ocean! But don't forget the sunscreen!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like tons of fun!!! They had a special on Coney Island on TV the other day, about how they are trying to revitalize it, etc. Next time, you'll have to get a hot dog!!

Bethany