Saturday, July 29, 2006

Chicago and Beach Baptism

This has been a big weekend so far! After work last night, I was all geared up to come home and just work on organizing all my stuff that has been in somewhat of a chaotic mess since it arrived almost a month ago now. It's getting better and better, but I will admit I really have procrastinated in getting everything put in its spot. As I walked home, though, my mind drifted to how I'd seen Rita Wilson last weekend and how this week I had found out that next week is her last in the show. That fact, combined with the fact that Usher is going to be starring in it as Billy Flynn starting in August, made me want to see Chicago sooner, rather than later. So, I decided to go by the TKTS booth to see if they had any Chicago tickets. Amazingly, they did. However, every show they had tickets for were being sold at 1/2 price, except, of course, Chicago. Chicago was being sold for only 35% off. But, I decided I probably haven't seen enough of Broadway since I've been here and I really wanted to see this musical, so I went for it! It was incredible. I loved watching Rita on stage. She's probably not the best singer or dancer, but she can hold her own and was definitely very entertaining and did a great job playing the part of Roxie Hart. Oh, and another famous person was in it- Obba Babatunde- I wouldn't have known his name, but definitely recognized him from movies like The Manchurian Candidate, The Notebook, and John Q. It was great!
Today was The Journey's annual beach baptism. What an awesome day! We spent the entire afternoon at Jones Beach on Long Island. It was a real beach!! Very nice, clean, white sand, huge waves! I loved it. I layed-out all day long and got a nice little tan. The baptism started at 2:30 and was very cool. There were probably around 150 people there, I would guess (but I'm never very good at estimating numbers of people). Thirty-five of those people had signed up to be baptized today. A couple of the guys from the band brought their guitars so we started out with a time of worship and sang a few songs together. Then, the folks getting baptized had the opportunity to thank anyone who helped lead them to this decision. This is always a really neat part of The Journey's baptism. I was especially touched today by one girl who said she wished her parent's could be there because this was a day they had been praying for for many, many years. She said they have always been ones to quote a verse here and there and just have really tried to be an example to her. Yet, as she drifted further away, they never gave up. Now she's in her twenties and their prayers have been answered-- how exciting! It reminded me of my own parent's. They were lucky in that their greatest prayer, for me to accept Christ, was answered when I was only 9, but I know there are other things for which my parents are in constant prayer for me. Anyway, after the "baptizee's" shared, we all headed for the water. All the ministers on staff got in the water to help with the baptisms. The waves were Out of Control today!! So, it was kind of funny to see them all crashing around out there. But, the baptisms were so exciting. One of the girls from my growth group was there to be baptized-- I didn't even know she was going to be there! She was there alone, so, I gave her a big hug and held her towel and sunglasses while she was baptized. They went in one at a time and the praise, yelling, screaming, and clapping after each person was "raised to walk in the new life" was so loud! It was very awesome. That is one of the things I have loved most about The Journey's baptisms. Prior to The Journey, I had really only experienced baptisms in traditional Baptist churches-- and they are great and have become so much more meaningful to me as my relationship with Christ has deepened. But, there have been times when someone I have been praying for makes a decision or when a child I have taught gets baptized and I've wanted to shout in praise, but I knew it wasn't appropriate in those settings. Now I am at a church where that is not only appropriate, but highly encouraged! I love it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That really sounds awesome! I am glad that you are enjoying the church - it sounds like you are growing there.

I bet Chicago was good. I didn't really care for the story of the movie, but I thought the choreography was really good. It was very entertaining. It sounds like you are getting to do a lot of really fun things there.