Friday, July 28, 2006

Favorite Place

I am pretty sure that I have found what will remain at the top of my list of favorite places in New York.
Last night, I went with a few friends over to Brooklyn to the Summer Film Festival. Every Thursday night, they show a FREE movie in a park over there. The park is located just on the other side of the East River from Manhattan and is just below the Brooklyn bridge with a great view of the city behind the bridge. It was an awesome spot-- but it got better!
We laid out some sheets and got pizza from a fantastic place called Grimaldi's and ate and played cards while we waited for the movie to begin. The movie last night was "Pee Wee Herman's Big Adventure." This was one of my favorite movies growing up-- I watched it over and over and over. I wasn't sure how much I would like it now that I'm all grown-up, but as it started playing, it made me so happy!! About 20 minutes into the movie, it started lightning really bad and then we began to feel drops of rain. They shut the movie off and said they would have to cancel it for the night. We were disappointed, but this is where things ended up taking a turn for the best. As we walked towards the subway, the rain stopped completely, so we decided to tour the neighborhood. We went down by the shore, behind the Ice Cream Factory, which is a hot-spot to get ice cream, although we didn't get any. The view of the city from down there was gorgeous!! Then, we walked over to The Promenade which was up a bit higher. It's basically a long walkway with amazing views of the city, the Brooklyn Bridge, and even the Statue of Liberty. I was in awe and fell completely in love with this place! After taking it all in for a little while, we walked up and around to the street behind the walkway and it was full of the cutest, most unique brownstones. I loved it! I had dreams of living there someday!
If you ever come to New York, this is definitely at the top of my list of places you should see!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it down there too. Isn't that the spot that's called DUMBO (Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass)? Grimaldi's is so yummy and the ice cream place is pretty good too. There's a chocolate place real close there too that's supposed to be the best ever. Can't think of it right now. I never made it over there when it was open but I think Tamara and Lizzy went.

Tonya

Anonymous said...

That sounds beautiful! I would like to see pictures sometime!

Anonymous said...

"There's no basement in the alamo!" I love Pee Wee's Big Adventure too!
Mitzi's sister lives in Brooklyn and loves it. It sounds great.