Monday, January 03, 2011

Movies

My blog posts are probably going to be quite mixed up for a while.  I've got a lot of past ground to cover!  I thought I'd start with a quick and easy one.  Let's talk movies!  I tend to see a ton at this time of year.  The combination of the cold weather and all the award nominees being announced gives me movie fever.  I hit a record over my break this year and saw six while in Dallas!!  And there are still many more I want to see in the upcoming weeks.  Here's a run-down of what I've seen:

Black Swan - don't go!!  Do not go!  It was awful.  To me it was more like a horror movie and I hate horror films!  It was so creepy and some of the images keep popping into my mind and make me shudder every time.  Also, the lesbian scene (which I didn't know was coming!) was very explicit.  Didn't help that I was with my mom- but regardless, it was tasteless.  I do think Natalie Portman could win the Oscar, but really wish it wasn't for this movie.  2011 is looking to be quite a year for Ms. Portman who is looking to bring home the Oscar, a husband, and a baby!

Rabbit Hole - I liked it, didn't love it.  My mom probably liked it less than I, but didn't hate it.  It wasn't nearly as sad as we thought it might be - no tears!  I thought Nicole Kidman was great and there were some really intense scenes.  I'd really rather see her win the Oscar than Natalie Portman.

Unstoppable - this was our very favorite!!  Fast-moving and action-packed.  We loved it!  And I'm a new Chris Pine fan.

How Do You Know - not good.  It was pretty much what I expected, but I went with 3 friends who I think all expected it to be better.  Regardless of our thoughts going in, we all agreed coming out that it was not good.  Slow moving, plot going round in circles, and just pretty stupid.  Two hours felt more like 20.
(On a side note - can you believe Reese is engaged??  I'm kind of upset about this one.  I liked her with Jake, but she dumped him because she wasn't ready to re-marry and he was ready for a wife!  And now she's engaged a year later?  What happened??)

Curious George - I took Ryder and Beau to see this one.  It was a Christmas special and pretty cute!

The King's Speech - I liked this more than I thought I would.  Interesting true story.

I'm still dying to see The Fighter, True Grit, Country Strong, All Good Things, and Blue Valentine...and probably others as well.

What have you seen or are you looking forward to seeing soon?

4 comments:

tonya said...

Added movies to my Netflix list based on your recommendations. I haven't been to the movies in ages but watched "Life as we know it" on the plane and thought it was really cute. I also watched the facebook movie and thought it was pretty interesting.

jessica said...

I really want to watch all the Oscar nominees this year! I've seen True Grit and The Fighter in the theater and recommend both of them. The girl in True Grit is so cute and Amy Adams and Christian Bale were fantastic in The Fighter. Oh yeah, saw Social Network and Winter's Bone too. Winter's Bone girl was great. I just watched the Joan Rivers documentary, A Piece of Work and The Kids Are All Right comes in tomorrow on Netflix. I'm most excited to see Blue Valentine and Waiting for Superman.

Kate said...

For our anniversary next week, I'm surprising Joe by taking him to True Grit, which he really wants to see, since we NEVER make it to movies in the theater.

I can't help it - I still want to see Black Swan, too, despite your review!

nicole said...

Well, you can tell my life by this...I have no idea what the movies are that you listed, except the How Do You Know - but only b/c I think I saw a preview of it awhile back? MY recommendation...again, shows my current lifestyle... The Dawn Treader ~ the latest Chronicles of Narnia. Saw it in 3D. Loved it. I do NOT reccomend the new Jim Carrey Christmas Carol. Especially with children... :) TOTALLY not what I expected. Did not have the feel good Christmas feeling after.