Monday, July 26, 2010

SI for a Day

Mindy and I went on a little excursion to Staten Island a few Saturdays ago.  I have had Staten Island on my list of places to go for years now.  I had a goal of hitting all 5 boros of New York City and although Staten Island doesn't have much to offer, I still needed to check it off the list.  So, when I received an event email about an exhibit going on at a museum over there I decided I should go since it was something we could actually do on Staten Island!  Mindy was up for the adventure so we met on Saturday after one of her auditions and took the ferry over.  The museum was the Alice Austen Museum and it is located in the house Alice Austen grew up in.  Miss Austen was a photographer in the late 1800's early 1900's.  Mindy and I both enjoyed pouring over her photo albums and seeing views of the city and surrounding areas from someone during that time period.
Views of Manhattan from Staten Island

Cute Alice Austen house
Complete with a white picket fence!

After the museum, we headed out for some Italian food because Staten Island is known to have good Italian food and good pizza.  We ended up at a nice little restaurant with a cute patio so we sat outside and enjoyed some lobster ravioli and salad.

It was a nice afternoon and I am glad to be done with Staten Island.  I really don't need to go back there - I wasn't very impressed with what we saw going to and from the museum.

No comments: