Saturday, July 10, 2010

She & Him

I got to see She & Him play last week.  I had been hearing about this group that brought Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward together for a while now.  In fact, three of my closest friends from three very different periods of my life like them a lot.  They are all much more knowledgeable about current bands than I am and I often like what they like.  That plus the fact that I think Zooey Deschanel is adorable and I LOVED her last summer in (500) Days of Summer led me to naturally assume I would like She & Him.

When Lucy asked me if I wanted to go see them with her, I had not listened to their music a lot, but went ahead and bought a ticket and then downloaded several songs so I could get more familiar before the show.  I spent about 6 weeks listening to their music and just couldn't get into it.  Their sound kind of reminded me of '50's music.  In Hawaii.  And it kind of reminded me of that scene in Dirty Dancing when the sister is in the talent show.  Do you remember it?



I started wondering if I should have bought the ticket.  Plus, the show was at Terminal 5...a venue I loathe because of it's location far, far away from any subway.  I was super bummed I missed their FREE outdoor concert on Governor's Island just a few days before (I was in Maine).  The day of the show, I was not looking forward to going.  But, I had bought the ticket, so I went.  And I surprisingly LOVED it.  Maybe one of the best live shows I've ever seen.  The music was suddenly GREAT and I loved watching them (Zooey is as adorable in person as I thought she'd be).  They are extremely talented.  I had no idea Zooey Deschanel had so much talent!  Her voice is amazing and she has an excellent ear for tune.  She can also play the electric piano (and had to adapt because hers suddenly went out of tune part way through the show) and the ukulele and she even writes most of their music!  She is such an old soul.  Her music definitely has an older vibe to it and the dresses she wears are so cute, but all look like they came from a different time period.  She seems so interesting...I'd like to know her.

1 comment:

jessica said...

I'm so happy that you liked the show! I love She & Him, but it did take me a long time before I was feeling it. I'd love to go to another one of their shows. I caught them during SXSW and I've seen M Ward solo a couple of times. He's really good too. But yes, Zooey is my girl crush. Maybe you'll like the albums better now. BTW, were you listening to both of the albums? I think Volume 1 is better than Volume 2.