Friday, October 09, 2009

Livin' it Up at the Mets Game

My computer has been a bit on the fritz again. I took it in to a tech store and am hoping it's just a keyboard issue...I was told a new one would cost around $130, but I found a new one on ebay for $12. I'm still waiting for it to arrive and am hoping it solves the problem!! If not, it may be time for a new computer and I'm not sure I can do that right now. So, while I had planned to blog more this week and include another Tour of my House blog, I'm going to have to do one big catch-up blog and the Bedroom blog will have to wait.

I went to the Season Ender of the Mets. They were playing the Astros and Kim really wanted to go (she's from Houston). She actually went to 2 of the 3 games last weekend! We headed out there Sunday after church. When we got out to CitiField, we were starving for lunch. We planned to hit up Shake Shack (so awesome they have it out at the ballpark since I didn't go in the City all summer). However, on our way over, we noticed an area where there was a huge buffet set-up. We couldn't figure out who it was for (surely not us), but we decided to partake anyway. We had free hot dogs, pasta salad, cupcakes, and rice krispy treats. It was hilarious. We saw two other people who looked a little too giddy to be there and it turns out they had just happened upon it as well. They asked around and found out it was supposed to be for season ticket holders. Oh, well, no one told us otherwise or tried to keep us out!

After the cheapest meal I've ever had at a ballpark, we went to find seats...not necessarily our nosebleed seats, just some good seats. We were standing on the lower level, scoping things out. A couple of security guards came by and asked how many of us there were...we said just 2 and they escorted us to a little fenced off area that had a table and 2 chairs in it. They let us in, then closed the fence off. It was the strangest little area and we're not sure who it is really meant for. But, they were great seats and we felt like we had our own private viewing area. It was hot and sunny that day....I got a bit of a tan, which was nice as we head into this winter, which I'm expecting to be bad.




Besides the Mets game, the past week was all together busy. Last Wednesday night, I went to see "September Issue" with Mindy. It's a documentary about Anna Wintour, editor of Vogue. I liked it and found it very interesting. She's a funny person to watch - so serious and cold.

Last weekend kind of started on Thursday night when I met my CG girls out for happy hour. I met Kim and Robyn there at 6:45 and the 2 Erin's and Jen trickled in later after work. We were there until midnight, but it went by SO fast. We had a lot of fun. Needless to say, Friday came too quickly and I was exhausted. We had talked about doing something that night, but I think we all ended up staying home and crashing early!

I taught Kids Club on Saturday. The kids were crazy...I swear the whether dictates their behavior! It was a little rainy and we had to go inside. There was one brother/sister duo that really broke my heart, Aja and JJ. JJ came and stood by me at one point with his arm on my shoulder. He smelled sooooo bad. It was really sad. Aja is only 5 and really sweet, but she is not at a 5-year-old level at all. She's a little hard to control. I later found out that their mom is a crack dealer and sometimes will come to pick them up and have blood all around her nose. It is really sad. So, pray for Aja and JJ and a way we can minister to this family better. I'd love an opportunity to take JJ some new clothes and a bar of soap!
Saturday night, I went over to Robyn & Erin's apartment to watch the OU game. We had a Tex-Mex fiesta...Robyn made queso and I made a corn/black bean dip. Both recipes call for Rotel...us Texas girls love us some Rotel!!!

I taught the kids on Sunday morning again. They were better this week, but still a challenge! I only had the 2 boys. One of the boys is super smart. He just turned five last Saturday and he knows SO much about dinosaurs it is unbelievable, and he's been that way since he was about 3. He also impressed me with his Bible story knowledge. I was telling them about when Moses went up Mt. Sinai to meet with God and receive the 10 Commandments. We talked about the people Moses left at the bottom of the mountain. Jackson was like, "Those are the Israelites, right"? I told him, yes that was right and he responded, "They're the ones who made the Golden Calf"! I was floored. We haven't talked about that since he's been in my class. He's been paying attention somewhere and his parent's are obviously teaching him at home, too.

I also fit in some shopping last weekend - DSW and Bloomingdale's. I didn't buy much, but hope to fit in some more shopping this week!
Sunday night, my pastor spoke on singleness. It was a GREAT sermon. Very encouraging.

Joy came over to my apartment on Monday for dinner. I had some ingredients leftover from brunch the week before, so I decided to make another quiche. I served the quiche with a Spinach/Strawberry salad that has a really great dressing. It was a really pretty and yummy dinner! We watched "Three Rivers" afterwards. A guy I knew of at Baylor is in it and I wanted to watch. He was here on Broadway for a while in "Rent" then "Cry Baby", but I never saw either of those. I wasn't very impressed with "Three Rivers". I thought it lacked character development and some of the acting was not so great. Hopefully, it will get better and Christopher will have continued success!!

Our church is starting a new initiative where one week each month we skip Community Group and meet with other groups at a bar. This past week was my group's first time to participate in one of the CG Gatherings. We met at a bar on the Upper East side with all the other UES groups and Queens groups. The bar has a room downstairs and they are letting us use it for FREE with the expectation that we'll stay around for drinks and/or dinner. It was interesting and I think it will take some time for us to get used to it. I hope it takes off and becomes a place for my group to get closer to other people in the church and where some of the stronger groups can have an impact on some of the struggling groups.

No comments: