Wednesday, October 14, 2009

10k Accountability

So, I’m calling on all my blog readers for accountability again! I want to run a 10k at the beginning of December (actually wanted to do a 15k, but it’s after I leave for Texas for Christmas, so I’m settling for the 10k). I’ve been working out pretty consistently the last month or more, but this week I’m struggling!! I need your help to keep me going! So, I’m going to do a weekly update like I did a couple of years ago when I ran the 15k. It helped me stay on track. I’m only running 2 or 3 miles right now and have a couple of weeks before I have to start bumping that up. I wanted to make sure I was running a solid 3 before I started the real training schedule.

My training will basically consist of the following:

-- 3 runs each week (increasing mileage each week)
-- 1 day of extended stretching (yoga + some other stretches I like to do/need to do)
-- 2 days of cross training . I don’t belong to a gym and don’t own a bike (yet), so I’m having trouble coming up with cross training ideas. For now, it will probably be long walks and pilates. Pretty sure pilates doesn’t count as cross training, but that’s all I got for now.
-- 2 days of strength training done in conjunction with any of the above (arm weights, lunges, squats, step-ups, etc….)

Watch for an update every week around Sunday/Monday! Thanks friends!

2 comments:

jessica said...

Good luck! You can do it! Here's a workout idea: I bought Jillian Michaels' (from Biggest Loser) workout DVD called The Shred. There are three workouts on it starting with a beginner's. It's circuit training incorporating cardio, strength training, and abs. The workouts themselves are only 20 minutes but with warm up and cool down it's 30 minutes. It's motivated me since I don't have to leave the house and it's so short. It has left me super sore!

tonya said...

I saw this cool band thing you hook around a tree and do yoga with. Thought it was interesting. Here I found the website (http://treeyoga.org/Home.html). Wouldn't that get you some looks in Central Park???