Sunday, October 11, 2009

Bedroom!

My bedroom is just a tiny part of the "Great Room". It's strange that my "Great Room" is probably the size my bedroom was in Dallas when I moved away, but now it's my bedroom AND living room. I like to pretend that I actually do have both a bedroom AND a living room, so I set it up that way. My bedroom is the smaller of the two "rooms"...or it just has bigger furniture, so it feels smaller. I love my bedroom furniture. I can't remember if I was in junior high or high school when I acquired it from family in Texas. My sister acquired a bedroom set as well. I don't know who decided who got which, but I love mine. She tried to get me to switch a few years back, but I would never give mine up! I believe it was originally my great-grandma's...my father's father's mother. I know it was in my grandparent's home for many years before it became mine. It includes my bed, dresser & mirror, which I moved up to NYC and a secretary desk, which I had to leave in my parent's garage due to lack of space in NYC.

I got my bedding several years ago now off Ebay. It was brand new from Pottery Barn and I got it pretty cheap. I think this is the longest I've ever stuck with the same bedding!! I actually still like it! The little cream pillow w/ ruffle around it is the one I bought recently in Seattle. I love it with my mix of pillows I already had. The maroon pillow is one my aunt made from chair cushions from my grandma's dining room chairs. We all remember those chairs, so it was so creative of her to make pillows from them. She made one for all the ladies in our family.

The shelves by my bed fit perfectly there and were left behind by the girl who used to live here. I bought the baskets at BB&B as a place to store some all my lotions and nail stuff.  I think I had that lamp when I was a small child – it was pink & white. At some point, I took it from my mom, painted it black, and bought a new shade at Target.

The doors in the pic above, alongside my bed are my closet. I suppose it could have been half that size, but thank goodness it is not! This is the ONLY closet space in the entire apartment....this is very typical in New York. There is no linen closet or pantry or coat closet. Just one for all those things! My next big project to tackle is organizing it....it's a mess right now and it actually has a tall ceiling, so I'd like to add some more shelves up high. I'll try to take some before and after pics of the inside once I get around to that project.

I need to replace some of the pics on my dresser soon. And there is one empty frame that I just got from a co-worker for my birthday. I need to go through some of my summer pics and pick some out to print.



I’ll consider this next little area a “hallway”. It’s not at all a hallway. It’s really in my bedroom section of the room, but it goes more with my living room décor. So, we’ll just say it’s the hallway between the two! I got the little shelf thing at an antique store in Amarillo. The plant is new! Sarah gave it to me when she moved a couple of weeks ago. She told me that his name is Ike – I will try to take good care of him!

I consider this piece of furniture the eyesore of my bedroom. It really should be considered part of my kitchen as it holds primarily kitchen stuff, but it won’t fit there. It is a pretty big piece of furniture I got for a very cheap price at Ikea when I moved here. Due to the lack of kitchen cabinets and no pantry at this apartment and my last one, I needed something for all my kitchen stuff (which I’ll admit I have to much of for a single girl). It also holds towels and linens. I think it’s pretty ugly, but it sure is functional. I‘ll replace it someday if I ever find the right thing at the right price.


I'm thinking I'll tackle the bathroom next!!

5 comments:

Maggie said...

Love this! It makes me want to do a home tour myself :-)

nicole said...

Susan! Take that "eyesore" and turn it into a great piece! You can do so much - get sayings printed that you stick on there, wallpaper it, paint the cabinet part one design and the shelves something else, stain the wood darker to math other furniture, change the handles out - I could go on! Of course, the actual HOW TO DO it is way out of my forte. But I see so much potential! And I'm not sure how much you can do in an actual apartment (staining? Would that BE a good idea in a small space?) but there is a ton you COULD do! I immediately saw it with a saying going across the doors (although on closer look, it looks like it is not completely flat) and with fleur de elise designs, or something similar to what you have around your blog! Talk to my sis - she's gotten artsy craftsy lately!

Susan said...

Yeah, I‘ve thought about fixing the ugly hutch. But, the doors are a weird material… I want to say laminate, but I‘m not sure that’s right. And the wood probably isn’t really wood. There’s no switching out the handles…they’re just art of the laminate. I can’t think of anything I could do to the doors other than spray paint….and even that could just peel off. It’s kind of a mess. I should do some research on ideas though. There’s actually a website on –redoing Ikea furniture….I should check that out.

nicole..again said...

Hmm. Stick ons? There is a site - wallpops.com, I think, if that's not it, that's what they are called, you can google it. They have some cool stuff and it's just giant stickers. I used them on the girls walls and they are GREAT. I even used them in one room, changed the rooms up, and was able to take them down and reput them up in another room. But then, I'm not sure how they work on laminate. I think they'd be ok. And you could cut them to go from drawer to drawer, or door to door. I did hear recently about wallpapering doors too - but then, the laminate might inhibit that big time too. OR, if you could find a way to do those sticker-word things that are popular on walls, you could do random New York words, places you have visited, or what not. I keep going back to the picture and just see SOMETHING there. Even if it's just a stick on of "UGLY. HUTCH." :)

Anonymous said...

It's wall-pops.com