Thursday, March 29, 2012

B-A-Y-L-O-R

Baylor NCAA Games! I had some fun times watching our men battle their way through the Round of 32 and Sweet 16 and their final game in the Elite 8! I watched the Round of 32 game in New Jersey of all places! There are 5 people from my old community group still in the Tri-State area and 3 of us are Baylor Bears and 2 are Colorado Buffalo. Since we were playing each other, it made sense to watch together! Two of the girls have moved to New Jersey and one has a 4-month-old - her husband was also out of town for a conference, so there was no way she was bringing baby into the city late at night alone. So, we opted to go to her place instead! The 3 New Yorkers (myself, Kim, and Jen) only slightly regretted the fact that we obligated ourselves to travel by train to NJ on St. Patrick's Day. I was really glad St. Patty's fell on a weekend this year because I didn't have to battle all the crazy rif-raf around my office building. TONS of people come in from New Jersey, Long Island, and the Outer Boro's to watch the parade and drink all day long. It's a loud, disgusting mess. And, we were riding with that disgusting mess back to their home on the train for 1.5 hours. By the time we got to our destination, our train conductor had blood all over his shirt from breaking up a fight and Kim had practically participated in a threesome when some girl came and sat in the lap of the guy sitting next to Kim and they proceeded to make-out like crazy. Seriously obnoxious people the whole way there! Luckily, the ride back into the city was much more calm. AND, we had a great time catching up with our Jersey girls, Erin & Erin! Plus, Baylor won - woot!

I watched the Sweet 16 game at Stacy's apartment along with Mindy and Christina and her friend in from Oklahoma. Another fun night with pizza and catching-up and another win!

For the Elite 8 game on Sunday, Kim and I just met at a bar near church because I had a meeting that was starting right about the time the game would be ending. We ate lunch and cheered on our Bears. We lost the game in the 1st half, but luckily the score got a little better in the 2nd. I didn't expect that we would beat Kentucky (I actually have them winning the whole thing in my bracket!), so I wasn't too disappointed.  Super proud we made it to the Elite 8!

Now we're cheering on our Lady Bears in the Final 4 and after that we get to see RGIII take the NFL Draft by storm. Definitely the best year in sports for Baylor in my lifetime thus far. Maybe our bad luck curse is finally over! But I don't want to jinx it, so I'll state for the record that I fully expect career ending injuries, murders of teammates, coaching scandals, and anything else that could possibly go wrong.... next year.

Sic 'em!

No comments: