We had a couple of hours to spare, so we went to John's Pizzeria for lunch-really good New York pizza - yum! Then, it was back to the theatre for the show. This was one of the very best Broadway experiences I have ever had! Because it was Sutton's last day, all her biggest fans came out. The energy of both the audience and the cast was out-of-control...in a good way! When Sutton first walked on to the stage, she got seriously huge applause. It's normal for big celebrities to get applause when they walk on stage, but this went on and on and on. This happened a few times throughout the show - where the audience clapped at normal times, but wouldn't stop!
Sutton and Joel Grey (Jennifer Grey's dad!), the lead male role, clearly had so much fun at this show. They both looked like they were about to burst into laughter in a few different scenes. It was clear that they were having a lot of fun! After one of Sutton's big scenes, she got a very long standing ovation...in the middle of the show! I cannot say I have ever seen this happen before. Every time the audience would go wild, she looked so overwhelmed by it - even looked like she teared up a couple of times (I could tell because I was on the FOURTH row, remember!?). She would try to get us to stop clapping by holding up her hands or something. It was unreal. Plus, the show was just really good! It's a classic Broadway musical...fun songs (a few that anyone would recognize), great singing, dancing and silly humor.
After the performance, the cast took their normal bows to another standing ovation and then Joel Grey got us to sit back down. He gave a little tribute to Sutton that was so sweet. He mentioned how he has worked with many wonderful stars... Bebe Neuwirth, Liza Minelli, Kristin Chenoweth - to name a few. But, he said he didn't love any of them as much as he loved Sutton. So Sweet!! Sutton had tears, her family who was on stage had tears, I had tears, Mindy had tears! Then, Joel and the whole cast sang a cute song they had written for Sutton. It was really neat to see all this happen. I would definitely try to see a final performance again!
After the show, I was heading towards the subway and there was a TV show being taped in the street. I hung around long enough to find out that it was Pilot for an HBO show called Newsroom. I saw Aaron Sorkin doing his directing thing and Jeff Daniels doing his acting thing (at the time, I thought he was Uncle Joey from Full House, but that's Dave Coulier...is it just me or do these 2 look exactly alike?!)
Jeff Daniels
Dave Coulier
My Pic of Jeff Daniels
Aaron Sorkin
After stalking the TV set for a while, I went on my way. My final stop for the weekend was Laduree...one of my new favorite places in the city! Laduree is a store that got its start in Paris selling macarons and they have finally hit the states! Macarons have been popping up all over the city....I guess their the new cupcake? Laduree ships their macarons straight from Paris every single day. And they are delightful!! My co-worker, Tamara's birthday was on Monday and she had recently shared with me her love for macarons, so I wanted to pick up some of NYC's best for her to try! (And let's not lie...I got a few for myself, too. The vanilla and carmel are my favorites so far.)
Such a fantastic weekend. I need to be more intentional about getting out and doing New Yorky things every weekend!


2 comments:
What a delightful weekend! I'm jealous of your Anything Goes tickets--love that musical and I hear Sutton Foster is terrific. Also, where is Laduree? I have had their macaroons once when my old boss brought them back from Paris. They were wonderful. So glad we have them now in NYC!!
I'm going to have to google sutton foster... who is she? It sounds like an amazing experience, who knew that final performances were so unique!
Post a Comment