Did you watch the Oscars?! I was hit with some crazy virus last week and had trouble getting over it. I ended up going to bed early that night and have watched the show throughout this week to catch-up! Total bummer. But, I did make it to the second Saturday of the Best Picture Showcase. I didn't love the movies this week as much as I did the first week. But, it was still a blast and I didn't HATE any of the movies as much as I hated Tree of Life! This week, I was joined by Hillary, Stacy, Rosella, and Mindy. Here's my recap :
Hugo - It was okay. Didn't love it, but it was entertaining. And the special digital stuff/3D was neat. At times, it was just a bit too slow of a movie for me.
The Help - I already saw this back in the fall. I had thought I might go to the gym during this movie since I'd already seen it, but after the virus attack, I was in no shape to get back to the gym yet. I really liked this movie, even the second time around! It's such a good story and the cast as a whole is excellent. Not that she was the star of this movie, but I just love Emma Stone more and more. And I loved her red dress on Oscar night!
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - I think my hopes were too high for this one. I love a movie that really makes you FEEL. Any feeling, really. Happy or sad or on-edge or scared - I don't care. I just want a story that engages me to the point that I'm so wrapped up in it to really feel some emotions. I expected that from this movie. I mean, it's about the very worst day in my very most favorite place in the world. It should have been so very sad. And it was definitely sad, but it just didn't draw me in to the point where I really felt much. The story of 9/11 is so powerful and this movie just seemed to lack that power. I didn't tear up once (two of my friends did, though). I had more tears in War Horse and in The Descendants, which didn't make sense to me. I think my expectation for tears was set too high.
The Artist - I was so nervous about this movie! I just knew ADD would get the best of me or that I'd fall asleep. I was pleasantly surprised. Not that I loved this movie, but it was really cute and enjoyable and I didn't get bored at all!
Midnight in Paris - This was my second time to see this movie and I am glad I gave it a second chance. I don't deal well with fantasy. It's just too....fake. When I saw this the first time, I went in knowing absolutely nothing about it. So, when Owen Wilson's character started being transported to the '20's, I thought it was just plain dumb. But, going in knowing this was what would happen made it more enjoyable for me. It's a cute story and the 2nd time I even felt like maybe it could really happen (I know it can't...but on occasion I am able to use my imagination in a movie!!)
Besides the Best Picture noms, I didn't see nearly as many of the other nominated movies this year. But I did see some and I have to say that overall I was just so impressed with movies this year! Here are some others I saw....
My Week With Marilyn - Mom and I saw it at Christmas. I loved it. Loved the story, loved Michelle Williams.
Beginners - I saw this quite some time ago and I don't remember much about it, except that I didn't really care for it.
Albert Nobbs - I did not expect to like this movie nearly as much as I did. This story was well-told and the actresses were very good.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Of course, it wasn't nearly as good as the book, but I liked it okay. Stacy went with me and she had not read the book and was quite confused! They did leave out pretty significant parts.
Jane Eyre - My book club went to see this a long time ago. It was our book one month, but I decided I didn't care to take on that book. I also had low-expectations for the movie...just not the genre I typically like. But, I loved this!! My book club girls did not though. Kind of funny how it worked like that!
The Ides of March - I really liked this movie about a Presidential candidate (George Clooney), but the ending was super anti-climatic.
Margin Call - I found this movie about the world of business and finance super interesting. I feel like a total nerd admitting that, but it was actually super suspenseful to me and I love suspense!
I saw 2 of the foreign film noms :
In Darkness - a Polish film about WWII. It was a pretty tough and sad movie to watch, but it was good and told the story of some Jewish people who hid in the sewer system.
A Separation - I liked this Iranian movie okay, but did not love it. I probably liked In Darkness better, but I knew this was the favorite to win the Oscar and it did win.
No comments:
Post a Comment