Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Weekend Review - Friday

This past weekend was definitely one for the blog!  It was such a wonderful, New Yorky weekend.  I love those!  Seems I have a lot to say about it, so I'm breaking it down by day!  It gets better and better, so hold-out for Saturday and Sundays posts!

Friday night, I went over to Roosevelt Island after work.  I've been over to the Island that's in the middle of the East River, just off of Manhattan, but I'd never been in a home there before.  My friend, Mary, had some of the ladies from our Bible Study over to her apartment for dinner.  Roosevelt Island is kind of a quirky place.  It's easy to get there - just 1 stop outside Manhattan on the subway or you can take the tram over the East River.  It is just 3 or 4 subway stops from my office, so it was super quick for me.  Life seems much more slow-paced over there and there is not nearly as much to do or shops or restaurants - but you're still so close to it all!  It feels a bit sketchy, too - at least at night.  But, Mary's apartment was lovely and it was such a fun and refreshing night!  Mary is the wife of a man on staff at my church.  They are really the only people their age in our church - they have 3 grown children and 2 grandchildren.  I really like having them around and it has been a blessing to have Mary join our study this semester.  There were a few other girls there on Friday who I haven't yet had the chance to get to know very well so this was a great opportunity.  Mary made us yummy soup and salad and sweet potatoes.  Do you know that I've never had a baked sweet potato?  I've tried sweet potato casseroles before and I don't usually like them, so I always assumed I didn't like sweet potatoes.  But, I loved these!!  So good.  We spent the rest of the evening - about 5 hours! - just chatting.  We laughed SO much!  And Mary and her husband have a get-to-know you game they always play when they have company over so we played the game.  Basically you write 3 things down on a paper that are unique about yourself, the papers get all mixed up and then we all have to guess who is who.  I put down that my high school mascot was a Kewpie, I once hit 2 parked cars in 1 day, and I took 6 years of Spanish.  Most of the ladies had NO idea what a kewpie is, and I always love re-telling my story of the day I hit 2 parked cars (and threw-up in a 3rd!  NOT kidding!!).  At the end of the night, several of us took the tram back to Manhattan - so fun!  I'd never taken it at night and the views of the city lights were just gorgeous!

No comments: