I had my first Movies 101 class tonight - so fun!! To start, there was a slight introduction to the class and we then watched the movie, Cake Eaters. This film is Mary Stuart Masterson's directing debut and also stars Kristen Stewart (who has recently become a household name due to her lead role in Twilight). The movie is an Indie film that was actually filmed 3 years ago and had its world premiere at the 2007 Tribeca Film festival. My aunt & cousins happened to be in town that spring and we went down to Tribeca in hopes of seeing a celebrity and of all people, we ran into Mary Stuart Masterson! I love when thing come full-circle like that. So, for the past 2 years, the film has been doing the Indie festival circuit and now, this weekend, it will be opening at a theatre near you! I imagine they are taking an opportunity to bank on Kristen's current popularity. I have to admit, she was very good in this movie and she was only 15-years-old when it was filmed. I liked the movie - not loved, but definitely was entertained and thought it was well made.
After the movie, our teacher introduced Mary Stuart to the class. I was so excited. She is absolutely adorable!! The interview was really interesting - hearing about how different parts of the movie came together, how directing works, what a day on the set is like, etc.... It was very fun - I loved it!!
Next week, we are watching Duplicity and the teacher says there WILL be guests. For those that don't know, Julia Roberts is in this movie...I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but definitely have my fingers crossed!
6 comments:
No WAY! And to think we stalked her around the block. Little did she know.... :)
I love that you are taking this class! I can't wait to hear about more of them!
Little did I know that 2 years later, I’d be sitting in a class watching the very movie she was premiering at the festival!!
Susan that is so cool! I can't wait to see who you are in class with next week.
Elizabeth
that sounds fun. i did a class like that at A&M and it counted as an english class. It was very interesting, but not near as cool as yours sounds. we did not get the added bonus of the interviews.
Todd, Jenn, Sam and Herculez:
I bet you also had tests or papers in your A&M class. I have none of that! It's totally fun. But, I have to admit if I could've swapped a movie class for English...I would have!
Post a Comment