Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Parent's Weekend

My mom and dad got in Friday about the time I was leaving work so I headed for their hotel to pick them up. We quickly headed out to begin our weekend o' fun, including....

- diner at the Hudson Cafeteria- my mom loves this place. It is very swanky and the food is delicious comfort food- great for the very cold evening that it was! Plus, it's just a short walk from my place and their hotel.

- we went by Columbus Circle to see the pretty stars that light up to the tunes of Chrismas Carols.

- we walked to Lincoln Center to see their tree in what is already a gorgeous setting


















- I took them on a huge (yeah, right) tour of casa de la Boatwright, so my dad could see it for the first time

-Saturday, we got up and walked to Macy's. I tried to tell my mom we shouldn't wear ourselves out at the start of the day with a long walk, but she insisted she could handle it. She was pretty much worn-out by the time we got there! But walking really is the best way to see the city and she did enjoy that part. We stopped by Tinsel Trading - a craft store she'd seen featured on Martha Stewart and saw several other things along the way that we enjoyed looking at. Finally at Macy's, we went inside to see their Chrismas decorations - so pretty!- then went outside to see the store windows all decked out for Christmas. It was fun and they really enjoyed it.

-brunch at Penelope's - quite possibly my new favorite brunch spot. My mom loved it, too!

-shopping at Saks. It was also decorated beautifully for Christmas and we enjoyed looking at their floor of Christmas decorations, ornaments, cards, etc... We also walked by their storefront Christmas windows.


-a walk through St. Patrick's. I love their big Nativity Scene. My mom had somehow never walked inside here before and she was very impressed! It is a really pretty place!

-saw Rockefeller Center during the daytime and later at night! I really think everything in NYC is more magical at night...from my neighborhood to Lincoln Center to the Rock Center tree and skating rink!





















-took them on a tour of both the NHL Office and our new store. They loved seeing my office and were impressed with my view. I finally took a picture, although it didn't turn out very good with the window glare. Basically what you see here is Avenue of the Americas aka Sixth Avenue. A little ways down on the right, you'll see Radio City. And, if you look allllll the way at the end of the street, you see Central Park between the buildings (just barely in this pic if you have good eyes)!




























-Went to Chinatown- mostly to eat, but we did stop in a few stores for purses, but didn't buy anything. I wanted them to experience Joe's Shanghai for dinner - it's too different of an experience to miss. We had fun!

-Took them to Beard Papa's to get cream puffs!! Cream Puffs hold a special place in my family as my paternal grandma was known for hers. I was soooo glad that my dad really liked these. He said they weren't just like Mammaw's, but he was definitely impressed!

-Mom and I saw Lion King on Broadway and it was really fun! I'd seen it years ago in Dallas and was glad to see it again. The costumes are amazing and the singing was, too!

-They got to visit my church. I was excited to show it to them. Dad really enjoyed my pastor, so I was glad for that.

-Went to Grand Central Station. Mom had been wanting to see it, so we ate lunch there in the big food court downstairs. Then, we did some browsing in the Holiday Market they have going on during this season.

-We walked through Bryant Park. It is so festive at Christmas. A big tree, an ice skating rink, hot chocolate and cider, and another Holiday Market. I actually want to get back there one more time before Christmas!

-We walked up Fifth Avenue to see all the shops that are decked-out and the Store Windows at Bergdorf Goodman. We also wandered into FAO Schwartz, which was a total madhouse!!

-Saw the Christmas tree at The Met. Probably my most favorite tree in the city. It is gorgeous and I especially love the nativity scene at the base of the tree...it's like the whole village of Bethlehem. Although, my parent's were quick to point out that the people's clothes were not representative of the right time-frame. Oh, well, it's still beautiful!! Last year I obeyed the signs and took no pictures. This year I disobeyed since everyone else was!

























-Dinner at John's Pizzeria. Mom had read about it somewhere and it is good, so we went!

-The Rockette's. I love this show! It's so cute and fun and great mind-less entertainment!
It was a great weekend, despite the HORRENDOUS crowds! I've got to figure out the ideal time for Christmas sight-seeing in NYC. I'm pretty sure it's not the second weekend in December!

4 comments:

Mindy said...

That sounds like a BUSY and FUN weekend. I am glad you were able to do so much and spend some fun time with your folks.

Maggie said...

How did you fit all this into a weekend !?!

Kate said...

seriously, maggie's right. i haven't done that much in the last 6 months. maybe a year or more!

Susan said...

It was pretty much non-stop fun! Really- I was at their hotel by 9:45 (just around the corner from me) each morning and we were off around 10:00. We stayed out all day long...we weren't back until 11:00ish. It was exhausting, I will admit that, but my mom kept reminding us she may never be back here at Christmas time again!