Saturday, December 01, 2007
15K DAY!
So, I made it to the Hot Chocolate 15K. I have to admit, these last few weeks were not easy! I was finding myself getting bored with the routine and it's been SO cold some days...running outside seems miserable, but I can't run more than about 2 miles on the treadmill without going crazy. And this past week was super hard as I came down with a cold that zapped my energy away. I spent a good 10 minutes this morning psyching myself up to go, between my cold and the fact that temperatures were only around 30 degrees, I did not want to go! But, I've been planning it for too long and wanted to follow-thru. I'm not sure it was the wisest decision health-wise, but I did it! I've heard that as long as your cold is only from the neck-up, it's okay to run, now 9+ miles is probably over-doing it, but my cold has primarily been a head-cold. At least until about mile 2 this morning when I started coughing stuff up. Gross! Yes, the cold has moved to my lungs now, I believe. But, I finished. Not as quickly as I would have liked or planned, but I had to walk more than normal as my body just wasn't feeling well, plus multiple stops to blow my nose and I stopped many times at the water-pits, which I didn't think I would do much of. Anywho, I ended up taking about 1 hour and 47 minutes...about 17 minutes longer than I'd hoped, but that's still an 11.5 mintue/mile pace and with all the stops and walking, that's not as bad as I thought I'd end up when I was walking the entire 4th mile this morning! I've decided that 15K's are a good length for me to train for and run...10K's would be good, too. So, I'm going to try to look for more of those...maybe around JUNE though, when it's sure to be warm! My favortite part of the race was the t-shirt...a super cute one that's my first t-shirt from a Central Park race! There's a Holiday 4-miler in 2 weeks and depending on how I feel these next couple of weeks, I may try to show up for that one, too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I'm sorry you don't feel well. I hope you can now take it easy for a couple of days.
I'm proud of you for running. I definitely would have talked myself out of it (of course, I would have done that before all the training I think). Congratulations!
I hate colds and we've been hit hard by them. But, I would have made the same decision. Sometimes you just gotta finish the project. Good for you! YOU DID IT!!
-Maggie
Congratulations-cold or no cold-still a good time and great accomplishment!
Congrats on finishing!!! What an accomplishment. I probably would have just stayed in bed with my cold. You are a real trooper!!
Congratulations Susan! You already saw my proposed work out plan; being the distance from here to the Hot Chocolate race that I am - that's close enough for me. Although I have to know - was there even any Hot Chocolate?
Post a Comment