Thursday, July 26, 2007

Maine Top 10

My trip to Maine was fabulous and the exact kind of get-away I needed—very fun and also relaxing! I left early Friday morning to meet my Dallas friends, Tamara, Tonya, and Elizabeth up there. Tonya’s friend and co-worker, Sean, has a house on a lake up there. Two of Tonya’s other co-workers went, so it was 6 girls and Sean. His guy friends who live in Maine and some of their families came over frequently to even things up a bit and provide Sean with some relief! It was a gorgeous place…a very quiet lake with very few houses on it. So extremely peaceful. Sean is also equipped with everything needed to make for a fun weekend! Pictures from the weekend can be found here!!

We did so many different things in our short time there and I’m sure I could write a very lengthy blog about it all. I’m going to limit myself to the TOP 10 (in no particular order):

1) Purchased live lobsters, cooked them at home and ate them for dinner! Yummy!
2) Took 2 long kayak trips in the lake….once to be up-close-and-personal with the bald eagles that are fed nightly by the next-door-neighbor.
3) Shopped in Bar Harbor…a super cute village on the ocean. Very pretty and quiet place.
4) Explored Acadia National Park…enjoyed splashing around in the freezing cold water at Sandy Beach and seeing the views and hiking around the tip-top of Cadillac Mountain. My favorite part was following the piles of rocks on the trails that are used to guide your way down the mountain…it was like a scavenger hunt looking for the piles then hiking to them!
5) Hit golf balls into the lake off tees placed at the end of the dock. This game was my idea and I have a feeling it’s one Sean will use again in the future. Only he and I played and he talked a lot of smack beforehand about how much further he’d hit the balls than me. Guess who won? Yep, me! Well, it might have been a tie, but it was awfully close! I even shocked myself since it’s been so long since I’ve picked up a club (I sold mine before moving to NYC). It was fun and made me want to play, so I may have to hit up the driving range at Chelsea Piers in the near future.
6) Went tubing!! It’s been a long time since I’ve done any recreational boating and riding on a tube again was a blast! It sure hurt afterwards, but it was worth the fun.
7) Nightly bon-fires. Sean has a great fire-pit where the boys built fires each night. We sat out there for hours talking, playing, eating smores, enjoying Sean’s wine collection, etc…
8) Lots of fun swimming and laying-out on the “float” with Tonya. We even swam over to the neighbors area where they had a water-slide we borrowed!
9) Midnight boat rides. On both Friday and Saturday nights, some of us took boat rides at night. We would park the boat in the middle of the lake and listen to the loons and frogs and watch for shooting stars. I saw 1 each night, but others saw even more than that!
10) GREAT company! It’s always great to be with any of my Dallas friends, but also super special to experience a new place with them, too! I also enjoyed Tonya’s co-workers and all Sean’s friends who came over to play.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very Jealous!!!! Susan it is beautiful. The lake looked super peaceful and how cool was it that you saw bald eagles up close and personal. ~ andi