Thursday, July 12, 2007

Broadway in Bryant Park

Starting today and for the next several Thursdays during lunch is Broadway in Bryant Park. Bryant Park is a cute, pretty park just 1 subway stop from where Joy & I work. So, we decided to hop on the train and try it out today. Each week, they have 3-4 casts from Broadway shows there each performing 3-4 songs. It was SO nice to sit outside for a while during lunch and I actually got some sun! The sun was to the left of me, so my left shoulder and neck are a bit burnt! Today, Mamma Mia, Spelling Bee, Beauty & the Beast, and The Heights were there. The sound system could use some work, but it was still fun. I loved seeing scenes from Spelling Bee and would love to see that show again! I'd never heard of The Heights before...it's Off-Broadway right now, but is about to close in that theatre and move to a Broadway theatre. The songs they performed today made it look like a very good show. It's about people who live in Washington Heights....the neighborhood in way-north Manhattan, above Harlem. I really want to see that show now! I hope to get back to the park for more shows on Thursdays this summer!

4 comments:

jessica said...

How cool is that-beats sitting outside of my work for lunch in Round Rock, TX with my great view of the Sonic. I didn't realize you and Joy worked together-is that right? That's cool.

Susan said...

No, no. Joy and I did work together at The Journey. Now she just works across the street from me at NBC. The subway stops underground right in between our buildings. We meet for lunch occasionally.

jessica said...

Kind of like how my YMCA is down the street from the old Spanish radio station whose outside looks like a real radio, except I don't have any friends there? Okay, so maybe I'm a tad jealous of not working in NYC, just working in Austin and not Round Rock would be a huge improvement.

Anonymous said...

Maybe if The Heights is still playing we can go see it next week while we're visiting.

Tonya