Thursday, July 19, 2007

Hockey Junk

This week at work was the annual Hockey Store sale. It was the craziest thing I've ever seen. It started on Tuesday when we got an email telling us to come to the kitchen at 11:00 with a bag...you could fill your bag for $3. In the kitchen was the largest amount of junk I've ever seen. Hockey stuff the NHL didn't sell this past season that they're trying to get rid of now....t-shirts, caps, jerseys, hockey gear, kids toys, jackets, fleece sweatshirts, TONS of Christmas decorations and ornaments, banners, etc.... Most of it was team-related and most of it was for Canadian hockey teams. I really couldn't get an interest in most of it, but I did pick up a few things for Ryder. Later that day, they emailed us back and said we could come back and fill our bags for $1...they were just trying to get rid of more stuff. But, everyone went back and most people got another bag full of stuff!

Then today, was the BIG sale. People have been talking about it for weeks. They have nicer things at this sale...better clothing items, authentic jerseys, etc... This time everything was priced. It started at 11:00 and people began lining up about 10:45. They were serious. I went, didn't get anything. A few hours later, they sent an email saying they were marking everything down, and finally, they had another $3 grab-bag with what was left. It was nuts around the office. We'd get an email notifying us of a mark-down and you'd hear the person who read the email first yell "it's all $3 now"!! And you'd hear people rustling around to find a bag and everyone would dart for the kitchen and then come back with LOADS of junk. I really thought most of it was junk. I guess if you're a huge hockey fan, it would be pretty cool though. We have 4 boy interns this summer and they LOVED it. The intern who works directly for me got boxes and bags full of stuff. He plays hockey for his college and he was practically giggling with excitement when he talked about all the new decorations he has for his dorm room. He even got a New York Rangers shower curtain. A SHOWER CURTAIN!!! Too funny. It made for an entertaining week at work, though.

I leave early in the morning for Maine! Yippee! I need a get-away. Work has been crazy the past few weeks - I was there until after 8:30 tonight and other nights as well. I'm ready for some fun and some R&R. I've never been to Maine before and am excited to check another state off my list of ones to visit. I'll be sure to take some pictures and write about our adventures once I return!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to practice self control, Susan! I'd go nuts just because it was so cheap and I could get all I wanted. Who cares if it's other teams I've never heard of? Who cares if the t-shirt won't fit anyone I know? Who cares if the ugly shower curtain is something I would never hang up? I know, because I DID IT. We used to have giveaways every week for magazines, sometimes books, and our Christmas parties were a big gambling night where the prizes were pretty much always stuff they couldn't get rid of in the stores. Who CARES if I'll never read the stuff or that the movie was rated so bad it didn't sell OR rent...it was FREE.
I literally still have some of the puzzle magazines I got at those things...over 4 years ago... pitiful, huh?
All to say, I'm impressed with your restraint.

Susan said...

Well, it definitely helps that I have NO room for junk. No storage space and very minimal closet space, means no more junk for me! In fact, I've been trying to weed out some of the junk I have that I never use by selling them on Amazon...i.e. movies I've bought, but never even watched. Not a lot of luck there so far, so I may ending pitching some stuff. I will admit, Nicole, I was tempted to snag some things I thought JB might enjoy...maybe we can make a hockey fan out of him and I can get all his gear for cheap, cheap! But, I'd have to figure out how to get it to you then!