This past weekend was Janet’s first time to visit me and Michelle’s third time. Michelle has earned the prize of most-frequent-visitor this year. Michelle, Janet, and I have sort of have a weird circular friendship. Janet and I have been friends since we took Swimmercize Aerobics at Baylor my sophomore year and her freshman year. We became closer when I was a senior and she was a junior and we had all of our core classes for our MIS majors together. Michelle and I met at church in Dallas- she’s a Baylor grad as well, but a little before Janet and I. Then Michelle got to know Janet through me, but also through Janet’s husband who worked with Michelle for a while. Anyway, they both came up for the weekend and we had a great time! We shopped a lot and ate very, very well. Some highlights:
--Dinner at Lupa with Janet’s friend Mark. He’s lived here a long time and is “in the know” on all the great restaurants. Lupa was an excellent Italian restaurant down in Greenwich Village. We really enjoyed the 4 pastas we tried, the chicken, the veal and sharing 4 desserts!! It was a feast! And Mark surprised us all by somehow slipping his card to the waiter without us ever seeing the bill!
--Friday night was dinner at Megu. We all LOVED this Sushi restaurant down in Tribecca. It was a very cool environment with delicious sushi. We had a blast!
--Saturday, we had brunch at Café 202. I’ve wanted to eat here ever since I saw Susan Sarandon brunching there with her daughter last September. It has been rated the best restaurant for brunch in NYC. It was really good!
--After brunch, we shopped in Greenwich Village, hitting an unexpected flea market on Bleecker where I found a great bracelet. We also stopped by one of my favorite stores, Purdy Girl. We then walked through SoHo until it was about to rain and we headed home.
--Went to dinner at Vintner, probably my favorite neighborhood restaurant. It’s the wine & cheese place with yummy fondue!
--They went to Broadway to see Grey Gardens, which I’d already seen. I opted to see Les Mis instead. It is one of my favorites and I was able to get a student ticket with my NYU ID for only $26.25!!
--Sunday, I taught the kiddos at church while J&M went to a museum. Afterwards, we met up to eat lunch at Katz’ Deli. I’ve been wanting to go there since it is so famous (you may remember it for Meg Ryan’s orgasm scene in “When Harry Met Sally.” I wasn’t that impressed with the food and probably wouldn’t go back.
--We went shopping at Barry & Steve’s…the store that just started carrying Sarah Jessica Parker’s new clothing line. I was impressed with her stuff. It’s very casual, but there were several things I liked. The best part was the price! I got 2 shirts, a purse, and a skirt all for only $37!! I haven’t found bargains like that in ages! We also stopped in an H&M to shop a little more.
--Sunday night was pizza night. We went to John’s Pizza. It’s well-known and was good. I’m still a bigger fan of Grimaldi’s in Brooklyn and Lombardi’s in Little Italy, though.
So, that was my weekend in a nutshell! So glad that Michelle and Janet came up. It was great to be able to spend time with them and I thoroughly enjoyed having them to shop and try fun restaurants with me! We did not do a good job of taking pics this trip, so I've only got the one!
2 comments:
Is Vintner the place they were putting in when we were there?
No, that's Caselulla. I still haven't been there, but I've looked at their menu...it looks really expensive and their entrees sound like foreign gourmet food. I'll probably go some day, but I was disappointed that it wasn't more of a wine and cheese bar like Vintner.
Oh, but they do have Mozerella from Deep Ellum in Dallas. I'd always heard about the Mozerella factory there, but never went...funny that it's being sold at a restaurant right next door to me in NYC!!!
Post a Comment