Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Horse Racing 101

Last week, I befriended a horse-racing fanatic. Saturday was The Belmont out on Long Island—one of the 3 races in the Triple Crown, along with the Kentucky Derby. I learned more about horse racing on Saturday than I ever thought I needed to know. And still, managed to lose every bet I made. But, it was fun and I hope to go to more horse races and I hope to figure out how to actually win money!!

The rest of my weekend was quite busy as well. Friday night, I met Joy for dinner. We had planned to try Alice’s Tea Cup. I love this place, but have only been for brunch, not dinner. Unfortunately, they recently started closing earlier and we missed dinner. So, we made up for Monday night’s outing at “Experience India” and got Indian food and it was really good. We were on the Upper West Side and there are a few great, cheap pedi/mani salons, so after dinner we decided to go get our nails done. Finally, we went to the movies to see “The Waitress”. I liked it, Joy didn’t like the way they glorified adultery, which is true, but it didn’t upset me like some movies about affairs seem to.

Saturday morning I got up early and went to a church brunch. It’s fun to be involved in a church that is still working to get firmly planted on its feet. There are a lot of opportunities to be involved and lots of excitement. I love JR’s passion for NYC and vision for the church and its people.

By Saturday night, after watching the races, I was exhausted and went to bed by 9:00 and slept for an entire 13 hours!!

Sunday morning/afternoon, I worked helping to set-up an event that my teacher from this past semester was producing. It was at a place called Cipriani’s, which is a very nice, expensive location for events that celebs often use (you’ll see it in the tabloid magazines when they’re having post awards show parties and things). The event on Sunday was an engagement party and it was over-the-top. I can’t even begin to imagine what the wedding will be like if the engagement party was this extravagant. Renting Cipriani’s alone is worth more than probably any wedding I’ve ever been to and that doesn’t include any of the food, drinks, entertainment, or décor! There were huge flower arrangements everywhere, a video that had been produced for the event that was amazing, special gift bags for the attendees, etc, etc. I didn’t get to see the food as our part was finished before the caterers arrived. I was working mainly with the head florist and she wasn’t the kindest lady, but at the end said to give her a call in a couple of months as she could use help on other events later this year. My teacher was also there and is very nice and easy to work with. A couple of the florists are semi-famous….a man named Ian who I was told works for celebs all the time and a lady named Jackie who has been named the best florist in Canada and the best florist in all of North America. I have no interest in flower arranging, but it was interesting to see them work!

No comments: