Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Excursion to City Island

Along with all the things I still need to see/do in Manhattan, there are several "excursions" I'd like to take to places outside of my little borough. I convinced Joy to travel with me to City Island, way up in the northern part of the Bronx. I'd been told that City Island is a fishing town and is reminiscent of New England fishing villages. It was a fun trip, but New England....I don't think so. The town was pretty worn down. The island is very small so we pretty much walked the whole thing. We were expecting cute shops and Victorian homes. There were some shops- mostly antique shops that were a bit dirty, but I actually found a cool $8 bracelet! We saw a few pretty houses, but still not the New England homes we'd envisioned. The other thing City Island is known for is their seafood, especially lobster. I did some research ahead of time to make sure we ate at the best restaurant. We ended up at the Lobster Box and it was really good and we sure had a fun time cracking into our lobsters! We also got there at 12 minutes to 3:00 and got to take advantage of their excellent lunch special that ends at 3:00- I'm always excited for a bargain!

All, in all, it was a fun adventure that I'm glad we had. Although it wasn't what we expected and not a place I'd return to, I would have regretted never going at all! I just hope my trip to Maine next month makes up for the lack of "New Englandness" City Island had to offer!

No comments: