Sunday, March 20, 2011

New Year's Goals!

I've been working on my New Year's Goals!  I have yet to run in a race, but there has really only been 1 that I could have done and I waited too long to sign-up and then registration closed, even though it was still supposed to be open - grrrr.  There are several races in April/May and I will knock some out of the way then.  I have been running a lot - a few times a week, usually 3 miles, but I have run up to 5 at one time.  It feels good to be on a more consistent schedule than I have been the last 2 years.  And I've rejoined the gym and am going there some, too.  I've even started working out with a personal trainer for the first time in my life and it's fun!

I have been cooking some and have conquered nine of my 52 recipes for the year.  I'm clearly behind!  It's been fun, but it takes time and planning and I'm finding that I have trouble keeping up with all the food in the house now!  I have enjoyed the new recipes and new motivation to eat at home and spend less and eat less, too.  Here is what I've made so far:

Recipe #1 : Blushing Baked Salmon - it is seasoned with lime juice and honey and was good, but I think I prefer my old honey mustard salmon recipe

I forgot to take an after pic, but here's the before!

Recipe #2 : Brussel Sprouts - I like brussel sprouts and made them at home before, but never quite figured out how to make them as good as restaurants seem to.  I did a bunch of research online and combined a few recipes and came up with one I like.  I think the trick is paprika!!  Here's how I make them now:

Cut brussel sprouts in half
Blanche in boiling water (1.5 minutes)
Remove from boiling water and place on baking sheet
Drizzle with olive oil
Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and paprika
Bake @ 350 for about 10 minutes

Recipe #3 : Risotto Risi e Bisi - Risotto is something I never had before moving to NYC and I've discovered that it is one of my most favorite things in the world!  This was only my 2nd time to make it at home and I think my first experience when I made Risotto with Asparagus turned out a little better.  This was still really good, just not quite as great.  I have a great Risotto cookbook and plan to make many more recipes from it.


The Risi e Bisi recipe was chock full of veggies and a bit of pancetta!
It made a TON!  Luckily, Katie came over and ate some with me.

Recipe #4 : Ragu Bolognese-after making the Risotto, I had a lot of leftover ingredients I wanted to try to put to use.  I typed celery, carrots, and pancetta into the recipe finder on All Recipes and came up with a recipe for Ragu Bolognese that called for all 3 of these ingredients!  I tweaked this recipe a lot, but it ended up really good - I'll definitely save this one.  I served it over whole wheat penne (my favorite noodle shape).  I've still got several servings of this packed away in the freezer for some day when I run out of all this food!

Recipe #5 : Granola - I was really excited to make my own Granola!  It is good, but I want to try some other recipes to see if I can find one I love!  Although, I guess it's good that I don't love this one by itself...keeps me from randomly snacking on it!  But, it's great in yogurt!  I've been having it for breakfast lately and still have quite a bit left...even after gifting a bunch to a co-worker!  Isn't it pretty?


Recipe #6 : Smoothie - I went through a long smoothie phase in Dallas, but it's been a while since I homemade smoothies and I decided to try again, armed with a new recipe.  This is delicious and I've made it several times now.  Makes for an excellent breakfast after my trainer workouts!

Recipe #7 : Fritatta - Oh my, this was delicious!!  This one came from the Barefoot Contessa (Ina Garten) cookbook I got for Christmas.  She has done me well when it comes to brunch recipes.  This is a keeper and just might be making an appearance at an Easter Brunch I'm thinking of having.  I downsized this recipe so I wouldn't end up with so much food - divided everything by 4!  It still made 2 servings and the leftover serving was almost as good the next day as the original was.  My only regret is that I made it in my large skillet...it should have been thicker, so next time I will make it in my small skillet (unless I'm making more than 2 servings)!


Recipe #8 : Risotto Caprese - This was another recipe from my Risotto cookbook and was just as it sounds...risotto with basil, tomatoes and mozzarella.  It was good, but the Risi e Bisi was better.  I thought I was going to LOVE this and I just didn't.  It was a little bland and had almost too much mozzarella in it.

Recipe #9 - I feel like I'm cheating by including this because I've made something very similar before and this was sooo easy.  But, I'm counting it anyway.  I already mentioned my Oscar Rice Krispy treats on this blog.  I'd made Rice Kripy Oscars before, but I tried a different recipe.  Actually, I used the regular old Rice Krispy treat recipe that comes right off the box.  So, I've made regular rice krispy treats before and I've made Oscar Rice Krispy treats....I just never put the regular recipe with the Oscar cut out!  This recipe is very sticky and not real sturdy for the little Oscars.  They turned out okay, but the cookies I make are way cuter and much more tasty!

4 comments:

jessica said...

Wow Susan, I'm so impressed and inspired by you! I want to try your brussel sprouts recipe!

Tamara said...

I am so glad you are making risotto. I was going to suggest it. I love it too and made it for the first time tonight! It wasn't bad, I just put in English peas and diced ham! Have you ever cooked a frittata?

Susan said...

Tamara...did you read the whole thing? #7 on the list was a frittata! And it was probably my fave new recipe. Delicious!

Me said...

Feel free to use me as a guinea pig! I've only had Scwans version of Risotto....