Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Happy Birthday!!!!!

The big day is here!  My blog's 5-year birthday!  Can you believe it?  I started this blog five years ago to record my adventure to NYC.  In my very first entry, this is how I explained why I was starting this blog....

"I’ve decided to start my own blog because I wanted a place to capture my memories of the time I will spend in the City. I also want a place to keep track of all the places I go, restaurants I eat at, and things I see so that I will remember the places to go back to or places to take my friends/family when they visit. Finally, I wanted a place where you, my readers- friends & family- can keep up with my life in the City, if you’re interested, that is (I won’t be offended if no one is!).  It will serve as a journal—it might be serious at times or I may turn spiritual on you in certain posts, but, hopefully, it will often be filled with exciting or funny stories of my adventures. And for those who know me best, you know that I hope it will be full of celebrity-sightings!"

I am happy to read that and know that this blog has turned into exactly what I wanted it to be.  I mean who really thought I'd have so much celebrity sighting material to work with?! 

I am so very glad I started this blog.  It's really special to me!  My two favorite things about keeping this blog are:

1)  It's my personal scrapbook!  I love having something to look back on and that all the pictures of my life for the past 5 years are all here in one place.

2)  It helps me stay connected with you, my readers!  Shout-outs especially to my high school and many of my Dallas friends who continue to faithfully read.  In fact, since I started this blog, all 4 of my closest high school friends have started their own (and some of them have started many - ha!).  And a few of you Dallas friends have, too!  It's such a fun and easy way to keep up with each others lives.  I love that!

I have to admit, however, that I don't enjoy blogging as much as I used to.  I've considered putting an end to its short life, but I'm not sure yet.  For now, I'll continue to keep blogging when I want to.  This means, that I'll probably often be behind because I often don't feel like it.  I do wish that I could post as often and as timely as I have at times in the past 5 years, but I guess real life got in the way at some point.  At some point, this adventure to NYC turned into my every day life!  Crazy, but true.  It seems less exciting and more busy!  Which means less time for blogging and less exciting material to work with.  Anyway, I hope you'll hang on until I decide to give up...maybe there's another chapter of life starting soon that will put a spark back into my blogging.  Until then, bear with me!

3 comments:

Kate said...

you're certainly entitled to take a break whenever you want. but I, for one, have really enjoyed getting a glimpse of your life. I feel like all of our blogs keep us closer, and in a weird way help us to continue to get to know each other better.

The scrapbooking/chronicling aspect of it is also huge to me. Perhaps first and foremost to me. I am so excited that I (and my kids) will be able to look back on things that there's no other way I would've bothered recording. You think you'll remember everything, but you won't without writing it down/taking pictures, ya know? I guess that's just how the human memory is built to work.

Congrats on 5 years! Sorry for long-winded comment. : )

jessica said...

Congratulations! I understand not wanting to blog, but I do hope you keep it up. You're really good at it for one! And since we're spread all over the country it makes me feel like I can stay in the loop about some aspects of your life. You have certainly inspired me to blog ;) and have turned me into a fan of NYC.

nicole said...

Goodness knows you've done better than me! I've started TWO blogs after you, and haven't kept up with either one!!