Monday, March 21, 2011

St. Patrick's Day

St. Patty's day always strikes me as a very odd day here in NYC.  First off, my company has a bake-sale (proceeds go to charity) and we get to wear jeans.  We always get to wear jeans on Fridays and St. Patrick's Day.  Does anyone else think St. Patty's Day is a weird reason for jeans day?  Don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining!  For the first time this year, I decided to contribute to the bake sale.  I made some super cute (and of course delicious) Shamrock sugar cookies for the occasion.


Of course, I also contributed by purchasing some treats!  On St. Patty's day, I ate a delicious peanut butter/chocolate bar of some sort.  It was amazing and I am tempted to track down whoever brought these to get the recipe!  I also purchased a raspberry/coconut bar and saved it for Friday.  I don't always like coconut, but I LOVE raspberry and this was delicious.  I've already done an online search and think I found a similar recipe for future baking.

Other than Jeans Day, the other odd thing about St. Patrick's Day in NYC is the CRAZYness of it.  I work on the 14th Floor of my building and as early as 10AM we could hear the mobs of people screaming on the streets below.  My office in on 6th Avenue and the parade is on 5th Avenue...not really that close, but you would think we were ON the parade route with how noisy it is.  I ventured out at lunch and totally regretted not bringing mine from home that day...the streets were packed with drunk people wearing green.  I couldn't help but wonder who all these people were that had time to party like that on a Thursday morning/afternoon.  I've just never thought of St. Patrick's Day as a big holiday to celebrate.  I guess maybe it was a lot of spring breakers?

No comments: