While the rest of the US is being pummeled by ice storms and blizzards today, I'm hoping the little bit of ice we're expecting tonight will turn into Snow Day #2 for me. Actually, make that 3...I keep forgetting about the one we had the day after Christmas when I was still in Dallas. NYC isn't expecting much from this storm that is brutal across the midwest, but we've had our fair share of snow this year. Nineteen inches on December 26th, followed by mid-week snow storms every week since then. Those weekly snowfalls gave us the snowiest January ever! Thirty-six inches in the one month alone. You add that to the 19 inches in December and we are looking at seeing the snowiest winter in history. We've still got twenty or so inches to go, but at this rate, I think we'll hit it! Last week's storm brought us 15 inches and resulted in the first time my company has ever had 2 snow days in one season. I welcomed it gladly! In fact, I was so excited with anticipation the night before that I could hardly sleep. I woke up several times throughout the night and called the office to see if a cancellation had been made. Finally, my call at 5:50am resulted in the positive! I still couldn't sleep and finished watching a movie and worked on a picture project - that is so not my personality at the crack of dawn! Don't worry though, I went back to sleep around 8:00 for a few hours. That afternoon, I decided to go romp around Central Park for a while. The park was a flurry of activity! I saw all of the following happening that day:
Sledders
Skiiers
Snow Shoe-ers (okay, actually only one of these)
Snowmen builders
Snowball throwers
Runners
Bikers
Walkers
Gawkers
Dog Chasers
Everyone was there! And they do a pretty good job of cleaning off the street that loops around the park, so people could run/walk/bike there.
Pictures from the Day:
Before I got in bed Wednesday night...it hadn't
even been snowing very long, but it was coming down
fast and heavy! Notice the height of the snow on the rails.
Thursday morning - look how tall the snow is sitting on that ledge!
I've never seen so many skiiers in the park as I did on Thursday
Iced over Resevoir
Love this snow fort!
This is normally the tennis courts
Love all the sledders in their bright colors!
My favorite snowman I saw that day
YIKES!
More sledding, snowman building, etc...!
Kevin Bacon's building
My cute street!
Stoop on my street - stairway completely filled with snow
My street Thursday evening
There's a car under there!0
1 comment:
I chatted with a guy on the phone yesterday that was up up in NY somewhere (business call) - he said everyone in his office was freaking out b/c it looked like they'd end up cancelling schools the next day and that that NEVER happened in NY, but with the expectation of 3-4 inches every hour that night, it was likely. I laughed and said we cancel school when we get 3-4 inches PERIOD! Heck, we didn't even get hardly an inch or 2 a couple nights ago, but because of the very freezing cold, school has started at 10 the past two days anyway!
Post a Comment