Saturday, February 12, 2011

Restaurant Week : Winter 2011 Style

So, I was a little unenthused and a not terribly excited for RW this time around.  I felt like I had done most of the better restaurants on the list and there are always some RW experiences that aren't so great which is always a big disappointment and makes you wonder if it's even worth the gamble.  So, I wasn't even sure if I'd participate this time around.  Well, after chatting with friends and browsing the overwhelming list some more, I somehow ended up going to 4 restaurants already!  And, there's still a couple of weeks left - yikes!  Here's my latest experiences/reviews....

Victor's Cafe
When : Thursday night in January.  The evening of the HUGE snow storm and my snow day!  Couldn't get to work (uh, sure I couldn't), but I could get there for dinner and a play!  Besides, we already had these reservations and tickets before the storm hit.
Who : Rosella and Alejandra.  Alejandra is Rosella's old friend/co-worker from Texas who recently moved to NYC to become Rosella's co-worker here.  This was my first time meeting her and it was really fun!
Why : We chose this restaurant because it was near the theater district and my friend Stacy had been during RW before and raved about it.
What : Cuban! Ham Croquettes, Ropa Vieja (skirt steak in a plaintain basket), Flan
Review : Croquettes were pretty good.  The Ropa Vieja was ok, but the plaintain basket was pretty cute and tasty.  The flan was kind of boring, especially because it was the only dessert they offered.
Overall : Wouldn't go back.

Norma's
When : Friday for lunch. The day AFTER the big snow storm (see Victor's, above).
Who : Co-workers!  Evelyn, Selena, Lecretia, Stephanie, Iona, Emilia, Anna, and Tamara all came!
Why : The Directors and above got to go to the All-Star weekend for fun (soooo sad I didn't get to go this year, but I'm not senior enough to go for fun and the Events team didn't take any extra workers from other departments this year).  So, the rest of the general accounting team decided to plan a fun, long lunch!  We picked Norma's because I'd been before (not for RW) and knew it was really good and everyone else loved the idea of breakfast!
What : They serve breakfast all day!  Three courses of breakfast?!  Yes, please!  I started with the bagel/lox/cheese/caviar followed by a frittata and ended with some yummy pancakes.
Review : They gave us all free smoothies to start - nice touch and so good!  The bagel was soooo good.  It was a very thin, crisp bagel so not as filling as if I had started with a whole big bagel.  The salmon, cream cheese, and caviar made it devine!  The frittata was also pretty good and the pancakes were delish.  Everyone else at the table got the chocolate french toast for the 3rd course...I decided I should be different and ended up with major food envy!  Steph let me try hers - so very good and chocolaty!
Overall : Two thumbs-up and 5-stars all around!  I think we'd all go back here.

David Burke Townhouse
When : Last Sunday for lunch
Who : Stacy and I
Why : We both had been wanting to go to this place and Sunday lunch was when we were able to secure reservations.  It's kind of nice to do RW for lunch because you still get 3 courses and it costs $11 less!
What : American?  A bit of everything?  I started with the pretzel crusted crab cake followed by chicken and potatoes and ended with an apple tart with ice cream.
Review : The crab cake was really interesting and very delicious.  The chicken was maybe the best chicken I've ever had and the apple tart was the perfect ending.
Overall : Very impressed with the food and the service.  The presentation of the food was impressive.  I'd recommend it.
Our fancy bread & butter were both cute & yummy!
My bellini was great, too!

Tom Colicchio & Sons
When : Last night (Friday) for dinner
Who : Rosella, Alejandra, and I
Why : Lucy and Amanda went last week and had rave reviews, so I just had to go!  Plus, Tom Colicchio's a famous chef so it seemed worth checking out.
What : American? A bit of everything? I started with the French Onion Soup followed by the Steak with Brussel Sprouts and ended with a lemon tart and orange sorbet.
Review : Soup was good, steak was great, I loved the brussel sprouts, and the lemon tart was so good!  I also enjoyed tasting Rosella's starter - bone marrow - it was so flavourfull!!  And Rosella and Alejandra's desserts were also fantastic - a red velvet cake/ice cream sundae and perfectly warm Zeppoles with carmel dipping sauce.
Overall : The food was great.  The experience was fun.  The restaurant is cool.  The service was great.  They even brought each of us a complimentary glass of wine to go with our steaks - amazing!  I definitely would go back here.

No comments: