Thursday, November 04, 2010

The X-Bench

I am obsessed with X-Benches lately. Are you familiar with these? My obsession started with the Barcelona ottoman….
At $350-$800, the Barcelona ottoman is a bit out of my price range.

I got my Wisteria catalog and fell in love with their antique/shabby chic version.
Cheaper at $249, but still more than I would want to pay for such a small piece of furniture.

Then I was at the Jonathan Adler store and saw his version and I seriously wanted to walk out with a pair! But, I declined the $600 (times two!) price.
Next, I got my Ballard Designs magazine and loved all the fabric choices they have for their X-Bench. But, at $275, it was still a little more than I’d like to pay.
So, I resorted to Craigslist. Was anyone selling a Barcelona ottoman or another type of X-Bench? I came across these…
For $95 per bench, I thought YES, this is what I’ve been searching for.

But, you know how Craigslist goes and after a few failed attempts at meeting up with this person, I think I’ve given up.

My sister came in town a few weeks ago and I was telling her about my obsession. We went on the Junior League home tour and saw X-benches in three of the homes! When she returned to Dallas, she sent me this picture from the store of a family friend in Dallas….
Oooh, I loved those benches with the black legs and patterned tops. The cool blue color especially got me excited. I asked Beth how much she thought they would cost. She replied, “Probably thousands….”

But, this got me thinking and I did some more googling on X-Benches and I came across these from the one-and-only Target (pronounced Tar-jay here, folks).
At $80, this is the best price yet! And, I’m thinking I can pop that leather top off, recover it with a fabric of my choosing and end up with something pretty darn close to the ones in Dallas.

I think I have a project for this weekend!

4 comments:

jessica said...

First of all, grr to you and your easy access to a Jonathan Adler store.

Second of all, darn those Craigslist people!

Third of all, do it, do it, get the ones from Target! Or get one you really love...if you have to put in more time and money into the Target ones. Anyway, let us know of your decision!

Kate said...

ooh - exciting! can't wait to see what you end up with.

Kelly said...

I love x benches! Super cute!

Have you ever seen the blog Copy Cat Chic? I absolutely love it. She finds really great decorating ideas/furniture and researches where you can get similar items for much less expensive. Here's the link: http://www.copycatchic.com/. I've found some great stuff through her blog!

Susan said...

Thanks for the tip, Kelly! I've already spent some time scouring the site and added it to my blogroll. I like!