This is an old update...trying to clean my pictures off my camera and get them all posted! I got to witness the Presidential Motorcade back in October...or maybe it was September. Whenever the UN Summit was. This is an event that occurs every year around the same time and dignitaries from all over the world come to New York City for it. The East side of the city in mid-town is always a bit chaotic during the Summit because the UN is over there and all these high profile people are staying in that area. You often hear people complaining about the traffic during that time because entire streets are shut down when someone of super importance is being transported from one location to another. I had never really witnessed this as I don't go to the mid-town East area that often. This year, I was on the hunt for a book I was having trouble finding. Through an online search, I found it at a Borders on Park Avenue, which put me in mid-town East. As I left the store, I noticed that Park Ave had been shut down and there were cops at every intersection and in between. I have no idea how many cops it took to pull of Obama's little jaunt from the Upper East Side (where I think he was dining) to mid-town where he was staying. It was a lot and probably cost us a pretty penny if you think about it. Now I'm not trying to bash Obama for that, just saying that it is pretty crazy that it took what must have been hundreds of police officers just to get our president a couple of miles down the road. Anyway, at the time I got there I didn't know who was coming...it could have been a President of any other country, but I kind of assumed it was Obama. It was a pretty huge operation. They were still allowing people to cross over Park on foot and that was the way I needed to go. About 1/2 way through the intersection (it's a wide street for Manhattan) I was by a cop and he discreetly whispered to me "You might want to hang around for a bit. The President is coming through"! I thought it was cute that he bothered to let me know. And, of course, I did hang around for a bit. We waited a while and it all happened so fast once the motorcade came through. It was still fun and exciting though!
No comments:
Post a Comment