My Halloween was rather low-key this year. I was invited to two costume parties, but October was such a busy month that I didn't have time to pull together a costume. I had one free night the week before Halloween and I considered rushing around town to find pieces of clothing and apparel for a Chilean Coal Miner costume, but I just didn't have it in me. I skipped the parties and that was fine with me. Instead, Mindy and I went to a hockey game on Friday night. We had good seats and it was Mindy's first hockey game ever and she loves sports so it was fun to take her.
On Saturday, I got a bit more in the holiday spirit and went with some friends to Greenwood Cemetery. I went out here a few years ago when Julie was visiting and thought it was absolutely beautiful! So, when Sonia mentioned at book club that they were doing a Halloween tour, we decided to go. A few girls from bookclub went and Mindy came along, too. The tour wasn't great...it wasn't spooky or anything, mostly historical. But, it was a gorgeous day outside and we had fun just exploring the grounds on a fall day.
Love the grand entrance to the cemetery
And we're off!
Our tour guide for the day
This is the burial site of hundreds of people killed in
a theatre fire in Brooklyn in 1876. It was the greatest
number of people to die in one incident
in New York city, until 9/11/2001.
a theatre fire in Brooklyn in 1876. It was the greatest
number of people to die in one incident
in New York city, until 9/11/2001.
Greenwood Cemetery sits on the highest point in
Brooklyn, offering amazing 360 degree views!
Here we have the Manhattan skyline.
Brooklyn, offering amazing 360 degree views!
Here we have the Manhattan skyline.
The person buried in this tomb didn't have
any strong religious beliefs, so they just
decided to try to cover all their bases.
any strong religious beliefs, so they just
decided to try to cover all their bases.
Stained Glass window
inside one of the tombs
I think the head sticking up through these trees
is the creepiest thing we saw.
Pepito is a lucky man to have someone decorate
his grave for Halloween.
his grave for Halloween.
All the Coopers and Hewitts are
buried out in Greenwood Cemetery.
Burial site of Frank Wupperman,
aka The Wizard of Oz
This was not on the tour, but we it should have been.
There must be a story behind this one!
The best part of the tour was that we got to go inside a catacomb...it was really cool! I wish there had not been so many people on the tour because I could have taken some really neat pictures inside there.
Entrance to the catacombs
Inside the catacombs
1 comment:
At least you did something! We decided we were just too pooped, and that day fell in the middle of what has been a hectic fall..so we just turned out our lights, and hung out in the depths of our dungeon aka - our basement. It was nice, but Canon was indeed a bit confused about when we would be trick or treating! :)
Post a Comment