Friday, November 20, 2009

Home Tour : Living Area

Okay, when I said I would drag out the tour of my apartment, this is not at all what I meant!!  This has become ridiculous...I just can't seem to get to all the posting I'd like to do.  We're almost done with this little tour and I hope to finish by the end of Thanksgiving weekend!  Y'all hold me to it!

I love my living room.  It is so cozy and comfortable.  Of course, it's in the same room as my bedroom, but it feels separate to me. 

Here is kind of a general overview picture of my living area.  I love that there is a pretty good amount of floor space where I can spread out working on a project or do yoga or a workout DVD or something.


I am ready to part with my couch, but don't see myself buying a new one in the near future.  My good college friend, Janet, and I spent my last semester (her 2nd to last semester) day-dreaming about the furniture we would buy after we graduated.  I wanted a denim sofa and a cute oversized chair.  I got both just a few months after graduation.  I loved them!!  In Dallas, I had become kind of tired of my crazy, loud, bright chair w/ denim accents, but thought it would someday look super cute in a children's playroom.  I gave up that thought when I moved to NYC and knew I most likely wouldn't have room for it.  It was a good call to leave it behind as I wouldn't have had space for it.  I sold it in the garage sale before I moved.  After 10 and a half years of use, my couch is getting a little worn looking, but it's still quite comfortable and serves its purpose.  I bought the flowered pillow a few years ago at Ikea to spice up the couch a bit.

The mirror above my couch was an Estate Sale find in Dallas.  Love a good deal!

The lamp to the left was a CB2 find.  I really need another one in my living area as it seems a bit dark at times.  I just haven't found a lamp I really want.  I'm considering just buying the same one again.


I do really like most of my furniture, but the bench in this next picture is probably my favorite piece.  When I moved, it was the piece I knew I might not have room for, but I wasn't willing to give up.  I found it at an Estate Sale in Dallas.  It's Ralph Lauren and they wanted $400 for it.  That was probably a good deal right there, but I didn't want to spend that at the time.  The sale, however, was dropping it's prices by 50% for the last 2 hours of the sale for anything that was left.  We went back and my bench was still there.  $200 was a STEAL!  It was August when I bought it and Beth took my Grammy shopping to get the pillows for it to give me for my birthday.

The picture above my bench is one that I took in Santorini, Greece (sorry the flash created a glare).  I found the frame on ebay and absolutely love it with my picture.

There are 3 plants on the right window sill.  I bought those on December 26th one year (day after Christmas sales)!!  They're supposed to be Christmas decor, I suppose, but I like them up all year!

I bought and hung the white blinds on my windows and didn't want to have any curtains at all.  However, the left window had too large of gaps on the side of the blinds.  Since my apartment is street level, I wanted complete coverage so people walking by can't see in!


Y'all have seen this Armoire before, as I featured it in a previous post.  A sweet family in my church gave it to me soon after I moved into my apartment (they were getting a flat screen and wanted to get rid of it).  It has been great for storing my TV and other media equipment, games, CDs, DVDs, etc...

The book shelf to the right of the armoire was another family hand-me down.  I think it came from my great-uncle Pete.  My sister has a matching one and has tried to get me to give her mine so she can have the set.  While I agree that having a set would be nice, I'm not willing to give mine up so that she can be the one with the set :)


Final home tour will be of my kitchen!

No comments: