Thursday, November 27, 2008

More Fun With Mom

I worked on Tuesday, so my mom managed to keep herself busy by shopping at every Aerosoles store she could find. Okay, just two, but she bought FOUR pairs of shoes! Apparently, they were having an amazing sale! She also managed to run into 2 celebrities. First she saw Geraldo coming out of the Fox News building (which is located next to the NHL building)...mom wasn't positive it was him, so she actually grabbed his jacket and said, "Geraldo!" and he said, "Hi"! Wow. I laughed so hard when she told me that. Later, she saw Kathy Griffin coming out of the restaurant in Rock Center. Mom said she looked awful. Mom also met me for lunch that day.

Tuesday night, mom and I went to the TKTS booth to see if we could get half-price tickets to anything we wanted to see. We decided to go for the play "All My Sons" starring John Lithgow, Katie Holmes, Dianne Weist, and Patrick Wilson. My mom and I tend to prefer musicals to plays, but were hopeful this play would engage us. It did! It was a great story and great play altogether. We really enjoyed it. Afterwards, we stood at the stage door to get pics of all the stars.
We were also treated to a "bonus" celeb. As soon as this woman walked out of the door, I knew she was the wife of someone big, but I couldn't place it. Guess who?

Kelsey Grammar!! He was in the audience that night.

The NHL was open only part of Wednesday, so I went in to the office for a while. Afterwards, I met mom in the Union Square area. We ate lunch at Sala, the Spanish tapas restaurant I'd been to recently. Their lunch menu was entirely different than their dinner menu was. It seemed more expensive and the portions were smaller (sounds backwards, right?). What we had was okay, but not as good as what I'd had before.

We shopped around Union Square....happened upon an awesome paper store, went to Fishs Eddy - a kitchen store, and strolled through the Farmer's Market. We then went to Trader Joe's to pick up some things to make a light dinner. On the way home, we stopped to check out the Parade balloons being inflated.

Horton the Elephant is one of the new balloons this year.

After going home and eating dinner, we made the trek to Newark, NJ. I had received tickets to our suite over there for the Tina Turner concert. Unfortunately, the trains were a mess that night - delays of up to 90 minutes. So, we missed the first half of the concert. But, the 2nd half was awesome!! Beyonce and Jay-Z were in the audience, but we couldn't spot them.

It was the day of Tina's 69th birthday!! And
look at her move! She was amazing. For the encore, she got on this thing that
went out over the audience.

Thursday, Thanksgiving Day! I told mom how I had done the parade last year and that it was fantastic!! She didn't want to get up so early and have to just wait for a couple of hours. So, we decided to go later and stay close to my apartment and just see what we could see. It was SO crowded and we were far back, so we kept making our way further downtown. We finally got to an area where we could see much better - there were still things we couldn't see, but it was pretty good. Here's the new Buzz Lightyear balloon.
After the parade, we came home for a snack and power naps. We then got ready for lunch. We opted to not do a traditional lunch and go out. We went to The Smith, which is a restaurant in the East Village I had heard good things about. It was a really cute restaurant! I had chicken pot pie with a cheddar biscuit top that was really good! Afterwards, we did some walking and saw the Macy's Christmas store windows. It was a good Thanksgiving!
I am sad that Mom leaves tomorrow and our fun week is over, but I am heading to Philly to meet some friends!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

read with condescending observation. waiting for the return. some of this may be a bit to confidential to post in such an open forum.

Rho

Kate said...

wow! your life these days amazes me sometimes. I can't believe you got a picture with Katie Holmes - too funny! Sounds like a great week of activities. Happy Thanksgiving!

jessica said...

What a Thanksgiving! A picture with Katie Holmes, your mom seeing two celebrities, a Tina Turner concert!? Wow!
P.S.
I love Diane Weist!

Bethany said...

Eeeee!!! You got your pic with Katie Holmes! Patrick Wilson was sooooo dreamy in the Phantom movie. (And we have the same last name.) :-)