Tuesday, November 04, 2008

I voted today, and cast my vote based on Ecclesiastes 10:2:

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

Okay, kidding. But, I do like to think that God has a sense of humor, too! So, my voting experience was funny!!! My friends were not kidding when they said the machines here are OLD. Oh, my gosh. It was huge and involved pulling big levers and such. I felt like I’d been transported to Price is Right in the 1950’s. I couldn’t stop laughing when I was in there and wanted so badly to pull out my camera, but I was afraid that would get me in trouble. I found a pic of a similar one online.

See that red handle?? You have to use both hands to pull it all the way across the machine before you start and then back across when you are done. There are little lever things up top to turn next to each candidate you vote for.
So, I wasn’t really harassed for being a Republican. My card says I’m a Republican and the guy who checked me in read it and said “Oh, so you’re a Republican, eh”? Not necessarily harassment, but probably an unnecessary comment. I've decided that New Yorkers aren't just Democrats, they're ignorant!! The other day, I was behind two old women on the bus. They were chit-chatting and one of the ladies said to the other:

"I was walking down the street the other day and I saw a man wearing a John McCain t-shirt! A REPUBLICAN! Right HERE on the Upper West Side, I saw a REPUBLICAN." I was tempted to speak up and say "I'm a republican, too. And so is all of my family and the majority of my friends!" I felt like they needed to be educated that we not only exist, but there are a whole lot of us!!

Best part of voting? It took only about 10 minutes!!! Hardly any line at all! Worst part?? I didn't get a sticker!! I didn't even see them there or think about it until I got back to work. In fact, I haven't seen one all day. Do they not do that in NYC??

7 comments:

jessica said...

Yay for you for voting! No sticker means no free coffee for you at Starbuck's, or free ice cream at Ben and Jerry's, or milk shake at Chick-fil-a, or doughnut at Krispy Kreme!

Me, Myself, and I said...

I am so glad you have blogged about your political/voting experiences in NYC! It just goes to show how diverse America is!

Anonymous said...

Well, it must be a P-town thing too, the no sticker thing. We didn't get one either! And we felt a little in the dark ages - back in C-town they had implemented the whole electronic, computer voting booths and then we move up here and had to fill in the ovals. That may be how a majority of people vote still, not sure, but I sure did miss the computer!
You should take a poll of all your pals and see what ways people vote: chads, ovals, levers, computers, what else?
About the sticker thing too: I heard on the radio there were ones with an American flag and ones without; like it was a statement being made or something that you had to choose. I rolled my eyes at that. But I do wish I had gotten a sticker! I had C with me - he'd have loved it!

Susan said...

Actually, you don't have to have the sticker for the FREE stuff! It's illegal for them to entice people to vote, so anyone can get the free stuff. I enjoyed my Ben & Jerry's ice cream!

Susan said...

Actually, you don't have to have the sticker for the FREE stuff! It's illegal for them to entice people to vote, so anyone can get the free stuff. I enjoyed my Ben & Jerry's ice cream!

Todd, Jenn, Sam, Ali, Max and Herculez said...

I remember going into those voting booths as a kid with my mom!! I remember her pulling that big giant lever. I am glad life went well for you on election day. I am a litle dissappointed with the outcome, but I just keep reminding myself that God is in control. Regardless of what Obama or anyone else thinks, he wouldn;t be there if God did not want Him there!! I personal think we are about to or are seeing some serious judgement on our great nation. the nation of Israel had it's fair share of bad leaders and times of captivity, just so God could get there attention. I think that is where we are headed. All we can do now is pray. We are joining you in praying for him everyday!!

Susan said...

I see your point Jennifer, but I'm not sure if Obama is who God wants there or not. I think sometimes we can use our free will to make some very bad decisions. God allows these bad decisions and can ultimately use them for His good, but in the meantime, we may miss out on experiencing His best for us and we may experience a lack of His blessing. That's scary to me.