-- The Marriage Seminar that I'm helping our pastor with really got rolling this week...and it's NEXT weekend! Yikes! I'm a planner and waiting until the last minute isn't my style. I did all I could earlier on, but some things are out of my control. Anyway, we had one and then a second facility fall through. One of the downfalls of being a new church without our own facility. I've made tons of phone calls and sent lots of emails trying to find another location - this wasn't even supposed to be one of my responsibilities. Anyway, it looks like we've found something. I hope so!
-- I'm also in full swing with my leadership role in the Kids Ministry. I thought it would only take a tiny bit of time each month, but sending out emails can really add up and there are always more to send than I originally anticipate!
-- I began training for a half-marathon this week. There used to be one at the end of January, but I haven't been able to verify that it's happening in 2009. I hope so, but I'm starting to train anyway, because it's time. My friend Mindy is planning to train with me, which makes is so much easier to stick to it. I SO need to get back on a consistent work-out schedule and this should help. I may begin blogging my weekly schedule like I did for the 15k last year...it helps me stay on track!
-- Friday night, Halloween, I went to dinner with my friend, Mindy. We were lame and did not do the whole Halloween thing. It's never been one of my favorite holidays - maybe if I had kids or even trick-or-treaters! But, the pressure of finding a good costume is just too stressful for me! I don't enjoy it. I had been invited to go w/ some friends to a Halloween party. They sent me the invite and, randomly, the party was also a b-day party for a guy from Columbia, MO....the town I grew up in. I've never met the guy, but know who he is and knew his wife back in the day. Small world, again!! Anyway, Mindy and I debated for 48 hours about going to the party and even went to a costume store before dinner that night. Dinner was yummy and fun -- at a Greek restaurant on the UES. Afterwards, we were full and tired, and didn't want to pay the $30 for the cover at the party. So, we went to Mindy's and watched a movie. It was actually a really fun night...the kind of Halloween I prefer!
-- Saturday was a church members brunch, followed by Kids Teacher's training. Afterwards, I went shoe shopping. I got some casual brown winter boots and am still on the lookout for black ones! My brown and black leather boots from last year are still in good shape...if I can get casual ones, too, I can just wear boots all winter long!
-- Saturday night, I kept up with the MU/Baylor game on my computer. I was proud of BU for doing so well, but really would have preferred the game not be quite that close, for Mizzou's sake! Then, I watched parts of the UT/Tech game!! What a game! I have loyalties to all the Texas schools, so it's not always easy to choose. Two of my grandparents went to Texas and all my aunts/uncles (which is only 3), went to Tech! For this game, I was cheering for Tech since they're the underdog and it seemed better for Mizzou. Tech pulled it off in the nick of time and it was SO exciting!!
-- Sunday I did double-duty at church. Babysat in the early hour, then taught Sunday School during church. I am loving my little 1st-3rd grade girls (we currently have no boys). They are so spunky and SMART! We played a game reviewing some stories from the past month or so and they remembered much more than I expected! They know who Elijah, David, Samuel, and Jeremiah are, among others!! I was happy and impressed!
-- I was sort of stuck on the UES after church because of the NYC marathon. I walked over to watch for a bit, and then ended up walking alongside it for a very, very long time until I could get across town to a subway. It was slightly annoying, but it was also fun to watch the runners. So inspiring!
-- Sunday afternoon, I went to a Cowboy's watch-party with all the Texas schools. Baylor hosted it at our game watching bar and we had a pretty good turn out. It was fun!
--Tuesday, election day! I already blogged about my voting experience. After work, I went to get my free Ben & Jerry's! From there, I headed out to check out Election Plaza at Rockefeller Center. It was so exciting over there!! I went back on Wednesday so that I could see the map on the ice rink with all the states colored in. I watched the results come in at Christina's apartment. I left around 10, I think, when there was no longer hope that McCain could pull it off. I think they declared the winner while I was making the trek across town...cars were going crazy honking their horns. I saw an old man yell at a young Jewish boy wearing a McCain t-shirt. It was so mean and unnecessary...especially at that point when we all knew Obama was the winner. The old man, who I believe was also Jewish yelled at the boy "You've GOT to be kidding me". Then turned to his friends and said, "THAT boy is wearing a McCain t-shirt and he has a yamica on", in clear disgust. I don't understand why all these people are so rude and in-your-face! By the time I got home, I had a splitting headache and went straight to bed. After 1am, I was awoken to what sounded like a large crowd of people celebrating. I have no idea where they were, but I think people were out in the streets partying all night long.
Rockefeller Center...at the bottom you can see that
McCain/Obama still each had 0 electoral vote...they
worked their way up to the "270" higher on the building.
The Map of the USA on the ice skating rink,
before any states were colored in.
The map after it's almost all filled in (just NC remaining...
I guess they called Missouri and then retracted it. All
the other maps still have it greyed out today)
-- Wednesday night, I tried a new restaurant with my friend Lucy. She's so cute and we have some similar interests, so I'm looking forward to hanging out with her more. We went to Bar Boulud. A French restaurant owned by a man who has another very well-known, exclusive restaurant called Daniel. This restaurant wasn't as expensive as Daniel is. It was good - interesting food and fun to try, but I'm not sure I'd go back.
I guess that's about it! I feel like I've been running around like a chicken with my head cut-off. I fielded church related emails all day long today...while at work. Got to figure out how to get my priorities straight there!
2 comments:
sounds like an interesting night! that ice rink on tv kinda cracked me up - the things they think of!
i don't know that I agree that obama's morals and values are far different.
as a friend in the minority of your friends who vote democratic, all of this political talk on your blog has me getting more interested in what draws you to voting republican. I guess by that I mean I just wonder if you consider your self sort of a single issue voter on 1 thing that you feel very strongly about, or if you overall agree with the majority of positions that the republicans take. just curious, but ya know, I understand if you don't want to discuss it on the blog!
hey, Kate. I'll send you another email, but it all comes down to my Christian world-view. I think there are several issues that put me in the republican bucket.
Post a Comment