Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Mom's Trip

The last week and a half has been very eventful and I have lots of blogging to catch up on! From interviews to job offers to consider to visitors and a trip to the Jersey Shore, I've been busy! I'll start with my mom's visit to the City. Here are some of the highlights:

We went to the Guggenheim to see some architectural art. Really the building itself is the most interesting part, but some of the art is pretty cool too.




















Lunch at Mary's Fish Camp...highly recommended by mom's friend DeAnn for their Lobster Rolls. It was delicious, but quite expensive- I guess that's expected with lobster, though!

Spent much of Saturday doing double red decker bus tours. Although we've both heard great things about these from friends, we weren't terribly impressed. We encountered long lines, lots of waiting, and guides with thick accents. It was also a little chilly that day so riding on top wasn't very comfortable, but if you rode on bottom, you couldn't see a thing.
















This is is the church where people injured on Sept. 11th were taken for emergency care. It is just steps away from the WTC site.




















Saw two Broadway Shows. First, the 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee which was very cute and fun! Then, we saw The Color Purple, which was excellent!

Went to the Columbus Avenue Flea Market that happens every Sunday. It was HUGE and a place I want to go back to and spend more time!

Split a huge brisquit sandwich at Carnegie Deli and got delicious cheesecake at Roxy's afterwards. We split a Peanut Butter Cup slice of cheescake and it was the most amazing cheesecake I've ever had-- actually, the cheesecake part wasn't so extraordinary. But, what was so different was, first, the crust, which was an undercooked sugar cookie with almond flavoring, and, second, the fact that the slice was topped with delicious icing!

Took the NBC studio tour. This was okay...we weren't terribly impressed, but some things were neat to see, like the SNL set.

We tried to get stand-by tickets to "The View", but didn't make the cut. However, since we were up at that time, we did see people waiting outside the ABC studio for the Regis & Kelly guests to come out. We saw Kirsten Dunst in her car-- she was trying hard to avoid the papparazzi and I didn't blame her. They were very weird looking men! We also saw Ice-T coming out and driving away.































We happened upon a red carpet event and saw lots of celebrities striking a pose!

Harry Connick, Jr.















Salma Hayek















Jada Pinkett Smith arrived in a cute coat....





















but, stipped down to her sexy dress for the photographers!




















Jean Chatzky, the financial lady on the Today Show















Trisha Yearwood





















Emme, the model




















Maria Menounos, Entertainment Tonight correspondent


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the Spelling Bee. It's so cute! It looks like you made up for not seeing famous people at work with this trip!!!

Tonya