Thursday, May 18, 2006

Milestones

So, this has been the week of milestones in my New York adventure. Monday was the 4 week mark-- can you believe that?? Then, Tuesday was the 30th day, which meant that it was my first time to have to buy a new MetroCard. Pretty exciting to think that I've taken the subway and walked everywhere I've gone for 30 days straight! (Except for the few cab-rides I took to move my stuff from the 1st place I stayed to the 2nd). I've started to wonder if I'm going to get car sick more easily after not being in them for so long. When I go back to Texas in June, I'm supposed to do the 6 hour drive from Dallas to Amarillo with my family. Let's hope this experience hasn't helped me revert back to my childhood when I threw-up everytime my family made the trip from Columbia to Dallas, which was at least twice a year. Anyway, today was the 3rd milestone of the week-- 1 month!! Yep, I've been here a month now. Crazy how quickly it has flown by. I have started to miss my friends a little more-- just haven't created those deep relationships like I had back home. But, that will take time, I know and I don't necessarily feel lonely at all. I don't feel like I've done nearly enough to have been here a whole month! But, I've been busy getting acclimated, looking for places to live, and that thing called work. It's been good though and I'm glad I'm here. I have definitely thought that it might be necessary to stay longer than a year! I told myself I had to stay at least a year, but I know in Dallas it took me a while to establish relationships and until then, I probably won't get out as much, do as much, see as much. Not that I don't mind doing stuff on my own, but a lot of stuff is just more fun with friends plus, you find out about more stuff through friends! So, I may need to stay for a while after I have some people to do stuff with!

I have an appointment to look at an apartment on Sunday night. I would have 2 roommates, but the location is terrific. They seem really nice on email and like we might have stuff in common. I found them through the classifieds listing of another big church here in the city. So, wish me luck there! I talked to a broker the other night and he basically told me I was crazy when I told him the price I wanted for my own place. I asked his advice and he told me to 1) get some roommates and 2) move to Brooklyn. Well, I was hoping to have my own place in Manhattan, but maybe a shared place in Manhattan will turn out okay.

I didn't mention the other day when I was posting about the Rooftop, but the other fun (or funny) thing about that is that there are several apartments you could really see into from the roof and you felt really, really close to them. There is one apartment where we could see a man walking around and the story from the people who frequent the Rooftop said that there have been times where he isn't wearing much! Isn't that hysterical! It's just like the "ugly, naked guy" from Friends! Remember when they created that long stick and tried to poke him? Oh, the memories!

Today I went to Macy's. It's right across from where I get on the subway after work. Oh, my gosh, it was HUGE! Two floors of women's shoes! I wanted to shop so bad, but I was really on a mission for 1 thing and I just can't buy more stuff until I get to my permanent location-- I don't want to have to move it! But, it looked like they had some amazing sales going on. There were 3 different sets of escalators and probably about 6 or 7 stories. Crazy! I can't wait to go back when I can really shop, though!

Today I ate lunch at the place that so far is my favorite place to walk from work. It's called Manganaros and it's a little Italian restaurant/deli. The owner is an older man and he works there with his two daughters. I've been twice and both times got the Mozerrella, Turkey, pesto sandwich. It is SO good. I've never had mozerralla that tasted so fresh. They also have a ton of the normal hot italian dishes-- lasagna, ravioli, manicotti, etc... and it all looks fabulous and the other customers in there are always raving about what they've eaten.

Another place I went to last week that I didn't mention is Levain's bakery. They are famous for their cookies. I went to buy some to ship home to mom for mother's day along with a family photo from my going away party (thanks Michelle!) that I framed. Anyway, of course I tried a cookie myself and it was delicious! I had the chocolate cookie with peanut butter chips (of, course!). Yummy, and definitely worth going back to.

No comments: