Oh, Rockaway. How I miss thee!!
Summer 2011 goes down in history as one of my favorites. It just felt so much like....SUMMER. Lots of outdoors, lots of sunshine, friends, fun. Everything a perfect summer should be. Something that contributed to the perfectness of it was Rockaway Beach. I made about 4 trips out there this year. That may not sound like much, but it was by far the most I've been to area beaches in one summer. Some people complain about Rockaway and I'll admit that it isn't the nicest beach ever. The clientele can be a bit shady. But, it's nice enough. And I like that you can get there on the NYC subway (making it free for me!) and it doesn't cost anything to get onto the beach (many beaches on Long Island have an entry fee). I just can't see what makes the Long Island beaches $20-$25 better than Rockaway.
Plus, Rockaway has Rockaway Taco and it is delicious! Best fish tacos in the world...I'm pretty sure.
My trips to Rockaway included any combination of my friends Stacy, Leticia, Mindy, Lucy, and Megan. They always included lunch at Rockaway and then hours lounging at the beach. Sometimes, we played in the waves, but usually not (thanks, Lucy for making me get in the freezing cold water....once you're in, the waves are a BLAST!).
Stacy & I at Rockaway Taco for our very first time!
Because Rockaway Taco has brought so many out to the beach, many other foodie places
have started popping up. How cute is this soda cart?! I tried a Lime soda one week - yum!
Megan & I
With Lucy!
One week, we saw an awesome model shoot happening on the Boardwalk
A couple of weeks after Irene, the tide was still WAY up. The beach
area was much smaller than normal.
Irene really wrecked havoc on this area by the Boardwalk
Final glimpse @ Rockaway for 2011. So Peaceful.
No comments:
Post a Comment