My co-workers like to laugh at things I say. Most often, they giggle when I say "y'all". I feel like "y'all" is a word I grew up being made fun of for saying so I'm used to it and I like the word and it's not ever being removed from my vocabulary. Anyway, they aren't so much making fun of it as they think it's kind of cute and funny. But, there are others times when they are just plain making fun of what I say.
For instance, I was recently giving directions to a sandwich shop to two of my co-workers. It went something like this:
Me: So, you go up 6th and turn right on 49th. Then, you'll cross over the road....
Them: Bwahahahahah!!
And it turns out road is not an acceptable word here! I do personally use the word street more often, but I would say I use the two words interchangeably and in my mind they are the same thing. But to my co-workers, roads are only out in the country and here in the city only street or block are acceptable terms. Okay. Lesson learned.
Then, this week I was rounding up some of the girls to head to lunch. We were just going across the street and I noticed one of my co-workers was changing her shoes.
Me: So, are you going for a long walk or something? Why are you putting your tennis shoes on?
The ladies: Bwahahahaha!!
Apparently "tennis shoes" is just as unacceptable as "road". Now, this one really surprised me because I see nothing strange or funny about "tennis shoes" at all. But, they insist it's "sneakers" and nothing else. Sneakers isn't really in my vocabulary. I'm sticking with tennis shoes.
4 comments:
Don't change. I'm a tennis shoes girl too. The word sneakers sounds gross to me.
I think I discovered in college that tennis shoes/sneakers is a regional thing. I guess on the east coast it's sneakers. I still say tennis shoes and don't get made fun of for it in Chicago. I think here most people say tennis shoes, but some might say sneakers. Maybe they're from the east coast? : )
Never thought about the road/street thing.
Sean uses sneakers so it must be a northeast thing.
Greg always makes fun of me for saying tennis shoes. He always asks me if I'm going to play tennis when I wear them. He's definitely a "sneakers" guy.
Post a Comment