Saturday, October 02, 2010

Labor Day Weekend

I tend to go out of town for most 3-day-weekends and it is nice to just stick around and have an extra day in this big city with more things to do and see and eat than I can keep up with. Labor Day weekend was perfect. Perfect weather, perfect friends, perfect events, and even some great productivity thrown in there! My sister's friend Chandra and her friend Kristy (from Two Funny Girls) were in town for the weekend. I met up with them on Friday night to grab a bite. I wanted to take them to Kashkaval (still one of my faves), but it was too crowded, so we ended up at Eatery, which also is always pretty good. It was fun to catch-up with the girls over a yummy meal.

I spent most of Saturday doing some cleaning and conquering some projects that have been on my list. I've had so many changes I wanted to make to my apartment this summer, but it's been slow going...there has been some progress though and pictures will be coming in the near future. Saturday night, Chandra, Kristy and I went to dinner at Nonna - Italian food in my neighborhood. I had only been once before and it wasn't quite as good as I remembered the first time, but still pretty good. I had risotto and it was chalk-full of veggies. I have a serious risotto addiction. I'll definitely be back there. After dinner, I took the girls to a party in Brooklyn. It was at some church peep's apartment...it was amazing! They have an awesome patio off their apartment that has stairs leading to their private rooftop that has fantastic views of the city. It was an apartment to die for! The owner, Rick, also had a couple of Emmy's sitting on the shelf...way cool!! He won them when he worked for the Dallas Morning News and they won for their coverage of Hurricane Katrina. He also had a Pulitzer, which he said was a bigger deal to him.
Kristy had to get her pic with the Emmy!  (and Rick)!
And the Pulitzer Prize!
On Sunday, I had a day full of church - I taught the kiddos in the morning, served communion at night.

Monday was a fun-day and I met Stacey at The Met to have a cocktail on the rooftop..it was my first time to be up there and it has seriously been on my list of "to do's" since before I moved here. Soooo glad to finally check that one off my list! The Met has a different exhibit on the roof every summer and this year I'd been hearing great things about it. It is a massive bamboo structure that is constantly in development and growing and changing all summer long. You can take tours of it - meaning you get to climb all up and around it. Unfortunately, we weren't able to do the tour...you have to be there at specific times and we couldn't work it out. Afterwards, we went to the new Shake Shack on the Upper East Side for a delicious burger dinner. It was a great day!
The crazy bamboo structure
Made only of bamboo and bungee cords.
There were pathways all up and around it
for the tours...so cool.
My first time to see the views from the top of the Met!
Stacy and I enjoying our day of freedom from labor

No comments: