Walking into a store today, there was a man standing in between lines and I was trying to figure out if he was in a line or not. He spoke up, "I'm not on line." To which I repeated, "You're not on line"? I wanted to bite my tongue off. Did you catch it? I said ON line, not IN line. That's how they say it up here and I will never, ever get used to it. You'll be in line at the post office and hear the lady behind the counter yell out "Next ON line" or someone will say "We had to wait ON line for 30 minutes to get tickets". I can't believe those words came out of my mouth. I know, I was mindlessly repeating what the man had said, but no excuses! I will not conform to using this phrase!
On a side note, I really can't stand the Northeast accents. If I hear the VP of my group say what sounds like "sore" for the word "saw" one more time, I might punch him. I really hope my slight accent w/ a little bit of mid-west and little bit of Texas (depending who you ask) stays like it was when I got here.
3 comments:
You are so funny. this entry cracked me up.
This really made me laugh!
Okay, I've got another chicago-speak one for you... they don't say umBRELLa, they say UMbrella... get it? the accent is on the UM... I don't know if everyone from chicago says it, but some definitely do...
Susan - hilarious entry. Totally agree with you on this one. (Okay, except I had to laugh at the description of your accent as "slight." Ha! I have a feeling most New Yorkers would disagree.) : )
Maggie - that's funny, b/c Joe (a more native Chicagoan than I of course) makes fun of me for the times I say UMbrella instead of umBRELLa. He/I thought maybe UMbrella was a Missouri thing.
Another Missouri thing: people say INsurance, but in Chicago, it's inSURance.
It's all Midwest to me! I've got some of each place in my vocab/accent at this point, I'm sure.
Post a Comment