Monday, May 04, 2009

Answered Prayers

Do you remember back in February when I mentioned that my church was doing a series on Prayer throughout Lent? I also noted that the girls in my group sans boyfriends decided to commit to praying that we would each have at least 1 date during Lent. It may seem like a silly prayer, but I don’t think God thinks any of our wants are silly. I prayed hard during those weeks and prayed specifically that each of us would have 1 date that would either result in a renewed hope in His future plans for us or a relationship that would bring Glory to Him. You know what? He answered that silly prayer. Out of the 4 of us, there was really only 1 of us who I knew for sure would have a date during that time because she is one of those girls who ALWAYS has dates. The other three of us – not so much. So, to God be the glory that we all 4 had dates.

Lately, I’ve been really having a longing for a family. It’s something that’s always there to some degree, but lately it’s been stronger. I really feel blessed that 99% of the time I am content in my singleness. And I have been abundantly blessed by the number of amazing single friends I have who are my age and even older than me…both in Dallas and here. That certainly makes it easier. I truly believe that I have learned the “secret of being content” and I know it ain’t a husband or a baby (Philippians 4:12-13). But, I can’t deny that it is still something that I want.

Several years ago, I was in a Bible study and one of the girls told us that her mom had taught her to pray that God would take the desires of her heart away that were not in His will. So, for years, I’ve been praying that God would take away the desire to get married or have babies, if it wasn’t His plan. And, just now, I’ve realized that is the dumbest prayer ever!! Okay, that’s an exaggeration…it’s not a bad prayer. But, when I asked God for 1 date, He answered – oh, how I should be asking for much, much more!! I truly believe that He wants us to be honest and bold in our prayers and although He knows the depths of our hearts, He still loves for us communicate to Him the desires we have and I’ve been neglecting to do that.

There are many women in the Bible who struggled with infertility (Sarah, Elizabeth, Rachel, Rebekah and Hannah….I stole this list from kellyskornerblog.com). Did they ask God to take their desire for a baby away? No! They pleaded with God for a baby. And you know what, He answered their cries! So, I’m changing up my prayer plan. Lord, grant me a Godly husband and sweet babies!!

Kellyskorner has committed to praying for women who are struggling with fertility issues and ones who are single too. Check out her list here and start praying for these women! I’m having her add me to the list!

5 comments:

nicole said...

So, in faith, should we start saving up for an NY trip for a wedding? :) Believing with you! Be prepared - we prayed for a bigger house, and Sarah actually prayed once for a house with a toilet per person - and MY how He answered! When He says "pressed down, shaken together, and RUNNING OVER" ...well, you may find yourself with a man who has a full quiver for you already! :)
(And what makes it more amazing and funny - 1 of the toilet's doesn't work well, and we closed off another one that was in an odd place...and yet we still have attained THREE more toilets that are sitting around to possibly be installed! Ha! We have MORE TOILETS THAN PEOPLE)

jessica said...

What a cool update!

Todd, Jenn, Sam, Ali, Max and Herculez said...

just so you know, i have always been praying that God would send you an amazing, Godly man. You are one of my favorite people, and such a precious, Godly woman. I can't wait to see the fullfillment of that prayer. He is gonna have to be one SPECAIL dude to deserve a girl like you!!
Love ya lots!!!

Maggie said...

Oh, I love this! I just had a discussion a few months back with someone about whether it was right to ask God for all that you want even when it doesn't necessarily seem very "godly" or rather just to pray that God gives us what He thinks we need and leave our personal desire out of the equation. I'd personally been praying for the latter, but during the course of the conversation I think I realized that maybe we do need to actually name the things we are yearning for and not just pretend like they don't matter. I love hearing your story.

Susan said...

Thanks for your sweet messages, everyone!! Maggie, I agree! I think God wants to be more than just "God", He wants to be our best friend. And that takes heart-felt communication. But, I do think that the more you spend time in prayer and the more scripture reading you do, the more in-line with His will your prayers become. When you do those things, you experience heart & mind change - your will becomes more like His, thus what you are praying for changes, too.